Old 04-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

Knitted/Crocheted Bag Line
Hey everybody! Thanks for coming to look at the thread!

Lemme get to the point. Some of my friends and I have decided to create a knitted/crocheted handbag line. We were going to sell them and I wondered how much they would bring. I understand that you can't see them so, therefore, it would be hard to estimate. I'll try to post a pic soon. The bottom of the bag is knitted, the body single crocheted, and an i-cord strap. It is knit in Sugar and Cream cotton. Thanks much!

KG
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
princessbonniejane
1st Leg of the Journey

i try to price the yarn and the time example: 10.00 for the yarn 5.00 per hour 2 hours= 20.00 hope this helps a little bit.
princessbonniejane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princessbonniejane For This Useful Post:
knittingymnast (04-18-2008)
Old 04-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Sounds like a plan, princessbonniejane's suggestion. But the number of hours you spend increases with the more your needle size decreases - more work for less pay (because few people will pay, say $5 per hour times 25 hours), usually. Better quality, but lower pay.

Have you considered going to the Great Mills craft house? There I believe you can reserve a table where folks can come in and actually watch you at work on your craft - and sell the results of that craft at the same time. A couple of years ago, it was like $80 for from April to November, or something like that.

Hope this helps,
Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DorothyDot For This Useful Post:
knittingymnast (04-27-2009)
Old 04-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
knitasha
Turning the Heel

I'm going to get up on my soapbox because I believe that knitters regularly undervalue their work.

IMHO, $20 is way too low for a handknitted or crocheted bag. Even if you could make one in 2 hours, and even you omitted embellishments, clasps, handles, etc., why would you want to work for less than minimum wage? I assume you want to make a profit on your bags. Not likely for $5 an hour!

Remember: you're not churning out piecework; you're selling original designs made by talented craftspeople. Nobody else can offer customers exactly what you do. The problem with charging by the hour is that slow knitters would earn more than speedy ones. Not exactly fair. And the problem with charging for the yarn is that it takes exactly as much effort to knit with Peaches 'n' Creme as it does with cashmere. It's not the price of the yarn that counts -- it's how you transform it into something valuable through your creativity and artistry.

The best formula I've seen for pricing handknits is here:
http://floryknits.com/

You might also check similar items on etsy.com and get an idea of what other people are charging.

Good luck with your venture and, to quote Elizabeth Zimmerman, "Help me off my soapbox,."
DorothyDot (04-21-2008), knittingymnast (04-27-2009), pinktoque (05-01-2009)
Old 04-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
Inis
1st Leg of the Journey

It is unfortunate that those apt to appreciate the work that goes into a handmade piece are the very people who typically enjoy making it themselves.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
knitasha
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Inis View Post
It is unfortunate that those apt to appreciate the work that goes into a handmade piece are the very people who typically enjoy making it themselves.

You're right. This is why so many good knitters refuse to knit things for sale. Maybe it's part of the designer/knitter's mission to help educate the "muggles" into appreciating handwork. One way is to let them see appropriate prices for good work. Undercharging won't change anything.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
wednesday
Ribbing the Cuff

I just made a simple mesh shopper for my daughter, it took almost 3 balls of Peaches & Creme from WallMart. This was my first one so I opted for very inexpensive yarn, I knew WM had worsted cotton, I am somewhat shopping challenged at the moment and had to get DH to pick it up for me. Never unless under extreme duress ask your husband to purchase yarn for you, it scares them. Anyway I used a free pattern for the body of the bag and made my own handle style ( I frogged the first try at handles ).

I am planning on making another, developing my own pattern to suit me ( this is not rocket science since a bag does not have to fit exactly ) I do want to work out measurments for exactly how big I think it should be and play with different stitch patterns to make it my own. I am not planning on selling the bags but may make the pattern available once I have all the particulars worked out.

Pricing handmade or OOAK items, I always try to price competitevely in line with similar boutique items, it has worked for me with jewelry and should work for bags as well. Keeping in mind that yarn style and quality should be in keeping with what you would find in a nicer ladies boutique, tha price points should work out fine. I hate when I see crafters ( using the term collectively ) price their items too low.
wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wednesday For This Useful Post:
knittingymnast (04-27-2009)
Old 04-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

Not married yet, but I'll remember for the future!
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
albertpollard
1st Leg of the Journey

Shopping challenged
Quote:
I just made a simple mesh shopper for my daughter, it took almost 3 balls of Peaches & Creme from WallMart. This was my first one so I opted for very inexpensive yarn, I knew WM had worsted cotton, I am somewhat shopping challenged at the moment and had to get DH to pick it up for me. Never unless under extreme duress ask your husband to purchase yarn for you, it scares them. Anyway I used a free pattern for the body of the bag and made my own handle style ( I frogged the first try at handles ).
Not ALL DH's are yarn challenged. My wife often asks my advice on color/weight, etc.
Just remember when 'shopping' for a DH to choose wisely.