Old 04-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #41
pinktoque
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via ICQ to pinktoque Send a message via AIM to pinktoque Send a message via MSN to pinktoque Send a message via Yahoo to pinktoque
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Those are great colors for children's clothing! The love the bright colors.

Simply Soft Brites GRAPE Simply Soft Brites WATERMELON
Those are beautiful, Jan!

http://craftblog.pinktoque.com
I knit under my desk at work.

KER+ Exp+ SPM->+ KP++@ Bam+(+) Wool+(+) Cot+(+) Syn+(+) Stash(+) Scale+ Fin-> Ent? FI-> Int? Tex-> Lace-> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN+ ML+ Swatch- KIP++ Blog+++ FO+ WIP(+) GaugeW++ ALTCr++Sw+(+)
pinktoque is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #42
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

I'm noticing a distinctly judgemental tone in this thread. I think we need to be a little more respectful of other folks' yarn choices and refrain from using phrases such as "painful" and "cheap". I've gotten great, inexpensive yarn at Michael's, and awful, expensive yarn on line. There are those of us who are allergic to wool, or knit for people who can't or won't wear animal fibers, some of us actually like neon green and orange, and as for not knowing what to do with something if we can't throw it in the washing machine-- knowing and wanting to either handwash or take it to the dry cleaners are 2 different things. No one comments on the many people on this site who only want to use free patterns.

Downloading instructions patternfish: $6. An adult sweater using Caron's Simply Soft vs Noro wool: $90. Working with what an individual enjoys and can afford because they love to knit: priceless.

I personally don't like the Michael's near me because the sales people know nothing and the selection is very small and poorly maintained-- sloppy and dirty, actually. But there's one an hour a way which is much better. So I am hoping that the "new yarn dept coming this spring" they have been advertizing for the past 4 months is going to an improvement, but we're all going to have to wait and see.
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imrachel For This Useful Post:
mdct123 (04-25-2009)
Old 04-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #43
cresmoon
1st Leg of the Journey

Sorry if I offended you, imrachel. I was just expressing my opinion and not judging anyone for shopping where they do or buying what they do. I myself buy lots of stuff from Michaels and Joann's and HL - sure as heck can't afford more expensive yarn right now.

What I meant to post in my original response was that the lesser popular yarn colors (like the neon ones) are the ones that seem to be clearing out of my particular store. I didn't mean it as a reflection of how good or bad the yarn is, just an example of the type of yarn I was speaking of that we probably won't be carrying anymore.
cresmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #44
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

I'm thinking about stocking up on the Neons that are clearanced. Here's a project from the charity group (Midwest Region Baby Oddball). It's all in the "Brites" line. Everyone who has seen it loves it. I'm sure the child who gets it will too. These yarns and colors are awesome for children. I don't know too many kids who don't like the bright colored things!

Old 04-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #45
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
What a pretty blanket, Kelly! What kid wouldnt love that!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
kellyh57 (04-21-2009)
Old 04-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #46
HollyP
Working the Gusset

I agree I'm going to have to stock up on the neon colors for kids stuff especially the oddball blankets. I was hoping they would continue to carry the SS brites since they are the only place I can get them locally! Keeping my fingers crossed that not every Michaels is doing the same thing as Cresmoon's.

Kelly that blanket is great!!

Jan I love your sweaters!!

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyP For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (04-22-2009), kellyh57 (04-24-2009)
Old 04-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #47
cresmoon
1st Leg of the Journey

Your Michaels might not be clearing it out for good, HollyP. I don't know if mine is - I just know it's discounted right now but I don't know if it's just to sell it or because they don't want to carry it from now on. It could be back with the new yarn section.

My local HL and Joann also carry this yarn. Do yours?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #48
cresmoon
1st Leg of the Journey

Went to shop today and they're now starting to clear out the Patons Merino wool yarn and some of the Red Heart soft yarn, along with the Simply Soft skeins. Just in case any of you are interested in buying any of that. The sock yarn is still clearing out as is some of the natural fibers yarn like the Bernat natural blends, which was all gone when I got there.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:01 PM   #49
hookedonknitting
1st Leg of the Journey

your blanket has inspired me! yay!
hookedonknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hookedonknitting For This Useful Post:
kellyh57 (04-28-2009)
Old 04-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #50
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

My HL has quit with the interior design fabrics and a lot of their other fabrics and now they have quit with a lot of the other brands of yarns they use to carry. They mostly sell their own brand now. I've also noticed that the knitting and crochet accessories section appears to carry less each time I go in there (about once a month). I wish I lived nearer so I could check the clearance more often.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote