Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
**Make the ULTIMATE blanket for your SOMEONE SPECIAL! Let's get started NOW!**
This KAL will run from June till how ever long it takes, please feel free to join us at any time

If you are not knitting this for Christmas but for yourself, that's ok still join in (prolly what I'm gonna be doing)

A couple of days ago I came across a pattern for the Christmas Star Afghan which can be found here, you can see it from that link but in order to print it out, you do have to use your e-mail addy to access it but it's free.

Then on Ravelry I seen how I would like to do it, by double knit. This way there is no bad side to the knitting! Here is the link to how the member worked hers she breaks down the info for you, isn't it stunning?

I contacted her and she said that we can use her charts since she got them from this book (she did modify them though)

If you go to her flickr account you can see a bigger size of the charts which may be easier to print.

Or if you would like to find your own chart or just use the pattern's chart you can do that too.

To make your own chart you could use this site she has a lot of free charts there, use this website to create your own, use this website to create your own graft paper to print and then draw out your chart, or if you have a book with ideas you could use that. I have the book The Complete Book of Traditional Fair Isle Knitting that has a lot of charts in it

Other Notes:

I don't plan on working the name into the blanket, but she does share the charts on how she created the name that may help you

I figured we could start this in June 'cause that would give everyone time to figure out their yarn...plus that is the start of the 6 month count down to Christmas

Her finished size of blanket is: 34 x 35" -used 9.5 skeins in KP's Shine Cream and 9.5 skeins in Sailor (KP Shine).

If you don't want to double knit the blanket and want to knit the original, please join us

If you have no experience with double knit, no worries it's not hard...Here is a pattern on KH that may help you along with videos

I hope many of you will join me in knitting this very beautiful blanket

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog

Last edited by dustinac : 06-03-2009 at 10:33 AM.
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Woodi
Turning the Heel

If I were to do an entire fancy blanket in a KAL, I'd prefer the aran squares, as I'm not fond of knitting fair isle. Or a blanket with many different types of knitting in it.

I made one years ago, in 5 strips. I would knit with one pattern for about 6 inches, then switch to another pattern for another 6 inches and continue like this until I had the length I wanted. Then I knit 5 more strips, continuing with changing the pattern. Unfortunately, I gave the 5 strips, which took me over a year to knit, to my mother, who then knit a dark border around each strip,(complete with white dog hairs knitted in) and then gave it to a non-knitting friend to sew together. She sewed it together all bass-ackwards! one or two strips would be right-side up, the next: right side down, then up again. I was so hearbroken, I kept the blanket for a year, but everytime I looked at it, I'd feel sad. So much of my knitting work wasted.

I gave it to the Salvation Army store. My DH brought it in, I waited in the car. He said a woman snatched it up as fast as he put it on the table. I felt slightly better.

So, although I'd love to join a blanket KAL, I fear the bad memories will return.

but maybe it's like having a car accident....they say you need to get back at the wheel asap!
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodi For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (04-08-2013)
Old 04-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Dustina, thanks so much for posting this, along with all of the supporting links! June is a great start date- I should be able to actually join in at that point!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I would love to do this sometime, but I'm not sure if I'll be getting involved with this one. Too much to do right now, but I certainly will be watching the beautiful blankets develop!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by Woodi View Post
If I were to do an entire fancy blanket in a KAL, I'd prefer the aran squares, as I'm not fond of knitting fair isle. Or a blanket with many different types of knitting in it.

I made one years ago, in 5 strips. I would knit with one pattern for about 6 inches, then switch to another pattern for another 6 inches and continue like this until I had the length I wanted. Then I knit 5 more strips, continuing with changing the pattern. Unfortunately, I gave the 5 strips, which took me over a year to knit, to my mother, who then knit a dark border around each strip,(complete with white dog hairs knitted in) and then gave it to a non-knitting friend to sew together. She sewed it together all bass-ackwards! one or two strips would be right-side up, the next: right side down, then up again. I was so hearbroken, I kept the blanket for a year, but everytime I looked at it, I'd feel sad. So much of my knitting work wasted.

I gave it to the Salvation Army store. My DH brought it in, I waited in the car. He said a woman snatched it up as fast as he put it on the table. I felt slightly better.

So, although I'd love to join a blanket KAL, I fear the bad memories will return.

but maybe it's like having a car accident....they say you need to get back at the wheel asap!

The original pattern is knit in stripes and then seamed together and well it would NEVER get done if I did that...but you can Cast on all the sts at one time (the one on ravelry was a cast on of 135 sts) and worked in one piece...the color work is very easy to do...all you gotta do is figure out your tension

I understand though I have not finished a big project so this will be something to see... will I finish? or not?

I'm actually working on the Aran Afghan started it back in Sept, I think...only have 2 blocks finished

Carey~YAY I'm so glad you can join!! What yarn are you thinking of?

Jan~Maybe later on down the road you can...no deadline on when the KAL will be over

Old 04-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Dustina, I haven't the foggiest idea what yarn, and I haven't looked at the ravelry example to see what yarn she used, either. What are you thinking of?

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I notice she used worsted. All I gotta say about that is that it'll be very thick. I'm making a double knit headband with Plymouth Encore and boy is it thick!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

I'm not sure I have some Caron Simply pound in my stash and feel like maybe I should use that instead of buying new

She used Knit Picks Shine...it would make a heavy blanket might try dk weight

Old 04-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Just wanted to add my 2 cents about yarn choice:

Brecka used KnitPicks SHINE worsted. It sells for $2.49 per 75 yd skein.

However, KnitPicks SHINE sport weight sells for $2.49 for 110 yd skein.

SHINE sport has 27 colors to choose from and it's washable/tumble dry...and that's always a good thing!

I'd personally recommend a sport weight yarn. Totally.

SHINE sport gives more yardage for the $2.49.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
G J (04-09-2009)
Old 04-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Did you read the latest on her Rav page? I hadn't seen it till I clicked the link this morning. Her dog chewed a hole in it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~