Old 04-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #51
breckalew
Casting On

color combos

KP Cotlin (a DK weight) in Sprout and Swan respectively

its the color combo im playing around with, and considering to do with the thistle isolate swapped in instead of the snowflake...

i would have to do a whole new swatch process for this yarn to determine my guestimation on yardage requirements (for the 1st blanket I had to go back and order just 1 last ball of each of the colors...)

or to stay with the same yarn to take that part of the new project drama out of the process

KP Shine Worsted in Robot Laurel and Cream (unsure of cream v robot [but leaning towards robot])

ok so my heart is leaning towards the cotlin colors, and my head is leaning to the shine colors

what do you think?

brecka
breckalew is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-16-2009, 03:30 AM   #52
Karina
Working the Gusset

I like the green in the shine, but I think the contrast is better with the cotlin colours. that could be down to how the colours come up on my monitor. If I was you I would do a swatch in each colour combo and see how it looks and feel.

I really love the swatch that I did with the 4ply sock yarn but to get the size of blanket I want I need to cast on 800 stitches (60 inch wide blanket) and get at the very least 25 skeins of each colour. So that will be for a time when I have more money than sense.

Last edited by Karina : 05-09-2009 at 04:57 AM.
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:15 AM   #53
Karina
Working the Gusset

I have made another swatch using the tulip design again. this time I used worsted weight yarn 80% acrylic 20% wool. cheap stuff that comes in a 400g ball and contains 900 yards per ball.

cast on the same 35 stitches used a 5mm/8us needle and the size turned out to be 10 inches by 7inches. it is incredible thick but very nice. Still prefer the 4ply but since I am poor right now this will do nicely.

here is a couple of photo's one with the two samples next to each other so you can see the difference in size.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dk4.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	52429

Click image for larger version

Name:	dk3.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	52430

You can see that the cast on edge is a bit tighter knit than the top cast off edge. when using the two colours together to cast on I found that the corners puckered in so I made a big effort to knit loosely on the side and the top and it did make a big difference in the look and feel. Prefer it. so if that is the way to cast on and knit the beginning I will start with a size 6mm needle and change down to a 5 when the double knitting starts.

is there another way to to start off the blanket using just one colour, but then I guess that the thickness is different. or would you be better off casting on and go straight into a double knit border. I think I might have to try it out, but would really like to know what the more experienced double knitters have done in the past.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #54
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
breckalew~I like the cotlin colors but like Karina mentioned that could be just how they are on my screen could you do a swatch in both?

Karina~Is that yarn available in the US? Nice yardage it gives you...do you think the worsted would be to thick? I agree I would love to do one in fingering weight but that won't happen right now

I haven't been able to swatch I'm under a tight deadline with some knitting I'm doing right now and hoping to finish that up soon

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #55
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Brecka, for all the work you're going to put into this blanket, I'd go with your heart!

Karina, wow, the size really is different! Thanks so much for sharing your swatches with us- they're beautiful!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
Karina (04-16-2009)
Old 04-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #56
Karina
Working the Gusset

Dustina - I don't think the yarn is available in the US, I think I mentioned it before on the Sock kal. maybe when i made the Alita blanket and I think you checked it out then. the yarn is made by Sirdar. The blanket will be very thick but warm and snugly. I think it would be unsuitable for babies. In this country they recommend lots of thin layers and not thick layers for babies so it is easier to control how hot they get. You just add or take away a layer as needed. But for older children and adult that live in cold climate I think it will be a lovely TV blanket. If you live somewhere warm I would go for something thinner.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #57
breckalew
Casting On

thats what i did, when i cast on i did the top and bottom border, and cast off using a size larger needle (size determined by swatching) and a smaller one for the double knitting portion of the blanket it all but solved those issues of drawing in and whatnot, i'll be honest. i have yet to knit a perfectly squared blanket... i believe its just the drape of fabric and the weight of all that love you put in there
breckalew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to breckalew For This Useful Post:
Karina (04-16-2009)
Old 04-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #58
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Hi breckalew!

My input about the two different color combos that you posted: the first two colors (the cotlin colors) will define the motifs much more than the more muted SHINE colors.

As for the SHINE colors, the 3 are LAUREL (the green?), ROBOT (the grey?) and CREAM (the cream). IMHO, the green and the grey are the same color intensity.

That is to say, although the green is green...it is the same level as the grey on the intensity dial.

I think the cream 'define' the motifs much better.

Just my opinion.

Unless you are going for an overall monochromatic look, which is a totally valid color theory! Then the green and grey work perfectly.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
breckalew (04-19-2009)
Old 04-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #59
paliphany
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to paliphany Send a message via Skype™ to paliphany
Well since this KAL isn't until June...I'm gonna throw my hand in. I should be done with my current projects by then. I just hope that I will be able to finish for Christmas...I'm not exactly the quickest knitter...or the best when it comes to color patterns...but I'd love to finish one of those blankets they are all so beautiful!
paliphany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #60
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
"....they are all so beautiful!"

You can say that again!!!!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote