Old 04-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
KushielsTart
Casting On

flummoxed regarding cast on at both ends
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I am just not wrapping my mind around this. I figured out how to cast on at the beginning of a row, but now I'm looking at my work confused. When you do a knit on cast on at the beginning of the row, you end up with your yarn at the front, so you end up knitting on two rows, one of cast on, and one of regular knit stitches as you move back across. However, when you cast on at the end, your yarn is at the very end so you can't knit them. Am I missing something? Thanks!
KushielsTart is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
ittybittypretty
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you have a pattern you're working from? Can you quote it? So we can see what you are trying to cast on?

However there are several methods for casting on that "move" in different directions when you're at different points in your knitting. For instance, you can use the backward loop cast on (aka single loop)in situations where the knit, or cable cast on don't work. Every knitter should know these 3 types, I think. you can view the videos here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on

Without more clarification I'm not sure I can help.
ittybittypretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Anarfea
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm confused as well. When I cast on at the end of a row I usually knit on as the backwards loop method never seems stable enough, at least not when I do it. Yes your yarn is at the end when you finish casting on the new stitches--but usually you just turn the work and knit or purl back just like you would at the end of any other row. Maybe if you posted a picture of what you're trying to do it would help.

Find me on Ravelry as TheNatKnits
Anarfea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
KushielsTart
Casting On

I am knitting Mina's Tuxedo Vest from Custom Knits.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...as-tuxedo-vest

I am increasing for the shoulders. It says to cast on three stitches at the beginning and three stitches at the end. The first time I tried it I did a regular cast on at the beginning and then realized it was wrong because it had that loop hanging at the beginning. So this time watched the videos on Knitting help, and I used the knit on cast on at the beginning, and the regular cast on at then end. However, as I was waiting for a reply, I re-read all of the materials on my pattern, and found a spot where it says to use backwards loop cast on everywhere except the beginning. (Blushes). So I am going to try it again after watching the video for the backward. I will let you know if it works. Thanks for taking the time to answer me.
KushielsTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
ittybittypretty
1st Leg of the Journey

You're welcome! Usually any problem we knitters have is because we are too close to the problem, we all need fresh perspective sometimes!

If that's what the pattern calls for, I'm sure it will work.
ittybittypretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The end or beginning of a row is really the same place, it's just in how you do the CO. If you CO at the end, turn your work and knit across those new stitches. The loop CO really isn't a good one for more than a couple sts, so just turn your needle and use a knit or cable CO.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Sometimes the backward loop cast on is the best one even if it is more than a few stitches. Since the pattern calls for it it will probably work fine.