Old 04-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #21
GinnyG
Instepping Out

My teacher said it was because of a difference in tension from knitting to purling. I do knit tighter than I purl but I'm not sure how to solve that!!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #22
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Great job!

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (04-16-2009)
Old 04-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #23
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GinnyG View Post
My teacher said it was because of a difference in tension from knitting to purling. I do knit tighter than I purl but I'm not sure how to solve that!!

Well, unless you can flip it and work the purls from the opposite side as knits... (opposite hand and direction too?)

Oh my head hurts from picturing it... I think you would also run into "twisted stitches" and so would need to follow the combined knitting style with your opposite hand knitting from the opposite side (of your purls) in the opposite direction (to your knit direction).

Of course, this would likely cause a new source of uneven tension.

But if purling has a different tension from knitting, wouldn't it show up in stockinette (no) garder stitch with several rows knit RS & WS then switch to purl on both RS&WS? (ignoring the row of ST ST that would separate the two sections)

Well that's something to try on a swatch.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #24
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Originally Posted by OffJumpsJack View Post

Well, unless you can flip it and work the purls from the opposite side as knits... (opposite hand and direction too?)

Oh my head hurts from picturing it... I think you would also run into "twisted stitches" and so would need to follow the combined knitting style with your opposite hand knitting from the opposite side (of your purls) in the opposite direction (to your knit direction).

Of course, this would likely cause a new source of uneven tension.

But if purling has a different tension from knitting, wouldn't it show up in stockinette (no) garder stitch with several rows knit RS & WS then switch to purl on both RS&WS? (ignoring the row of ST ST that would separate the two sections)

Well that's something to try on a swatch.
What?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #25
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
What?

Clear as mud, was I?

If purl stitches (always) have a different gauge from knitting, then what is one to do to achieve a uniform gauge?

To avoid purls you could turn your work and knit from left to right with left hand using combined knitting method (because stitches would be twisted, i.e. the leading side of the loop would be in the back). [Mirror that description for left handed knitters.]

However, Knitting with one's opposite hand in the opposite direction using the combined knitting style would be awkward and [be likely to] have a different gauge/tension from one's normal knitting. Thus this suggestion seems of little value in avoiding the difference in gauge between purls and knits.

Test to see if one's own purl stitches have a different gauge or tension from one's knit stitches.

1) Swatch in knit all rows for 4 inches (10 cm) then purl all rows for the same row count as the previous knit section.

That is what I will have to try.

(Note: I have already tried "Knitting with one's opposite hand in the opposite direction" but I failed to recognize the twisted stitches and don't think I used the combined knitting style. )

--Jack

P.S. Twice now I've forgotten to say how much I like your head band. Does the yarn have an elastic component?

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTH Baby blanket

Last edited by OffJumpsJack : 04-23-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Because I'm not perfect... Yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to OffJumpsJack For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (04-23-2009)
Old 04-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #26
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Ohh.. I see where you're going now, Jack. The problem is this is knit in the round so there is no turning. If one were to knit flat then by turning each side gets it's turn to be a purled so it really isn't a problem and you don't need to worry about what type of knitting you're doing.

From what I've heard from others it's a common problem. Mine actually wasn't too bad till I bound off. That is where I really messed up by doing it too tightly so it accentuated the problem. When I flip it now though it really isn't a big deal and only really looks obvious when you look inside which makes sense. The 'inside' tracks are always shorter.

No, elastic. This is just Plymouth Encore. Thanks!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #27
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Ah! but you can turn something worked in the round (facing inside) and either you reverse directions (such as for stranding, perhaps) or you get back to that ambidextrous thing. (that word is getting to be like a black cat from Matrix).

Now I must confess to a moment as I couldn't see any purl stitches in the head band. It did take a moment for me to realize why.

I guess I'll put a DK head band in my queue. I haven't done double knit yet. Did you link or mention a pattern? (off to have a second look or I could just wing it.).

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTH Baby blanket
Old 04-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #28
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Sure, you could flip it around and go back the other way however, that does create a hole or at the very least a weird spot which would in the end defeat the purpose of knitting in the round so it's all a smooth one piece knitted item.

Yeah, you won't see purls because they are 'inside'. It's actually two layers of fabric! Here's the link if you're on Ravelry. You can see other projects here as well. Hmm...seems to only be available on there. PM me if you aren't on Rav...although that would beg the question of WHY NOT?!

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #29
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

Oh, that's just so pretty! Double knitting is something that I'll have to try sometime...when I have enough time. Great job on that, and post pics of it finished, because I'd love to see them!
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #30
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by knittingymnast View Post
Oh, that's just so pretty! Double knitting is something that I'll have to try sometime...when I have enough time. Great job on that, and post pics of it finished, because I'd love to see them!
The finished picture is in post #14.

Thanks!

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~