Old 04-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #31
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Here's the finished head band! It's a little wrinkly because I got the bind off a little tight, but since it's a head band it makes no difference.

Ah, I dread binding off for the same reason. With double knit, can you use the SC or DC bind off? Oh, I guess I should go view Amy's DK video.

I was wondering if the difference in circumference of the two sides has anything to do with the cause of the wrinkles (instead of gauge)? Since the purls create the inside layer, it makes sense to me that the inside layer would be shorter in length than the outside layer. Mathematically this is more pronounced with thicker fabric.

Um, I guess I'm asking if you can decrease the number of purls in your double knit while keeping the original number of knits specified in the pattern? If the thickness of st st in worsted weight yarn is just 1/8 inch (3.2 mm) then the difference in diameter is twice that or 1/4 inch (6.4 mm). That would make the difference in stitch counts to be 3.14 * 1/4 inch * gauge (st per inch) or 3.75 to 4 stitches less purls than knits.

I'm not on Ravelry; I though I requested an invitation but cannot find a reply. (I just have too many email addresses to pick from.) I either stopped before submitting my request or I used an older email address that has become orphaned due to spam.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #32
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Originally Posted by OffJumpsJack View Post

Ah, I dread binding off for the same reason. With double knit, can you use the SC or DC bind off? .....

You could do any bind off you choose, but due to the double nature there was a specific way to do it in this case. I should have used a larger needle.
Quote:
I was wondering if the difference in circumference of the two sides has anything to do with the cause of the wrinkles (instead of gauge)? .....
I think this is true...Like a race track is shorter on the inside. Many people do purl looser though which adds to the problem. This can create a problem with flat knitting called rowing out.
Quote:
Um, I guess I'm asking if you can decrease the number of purls in your double knit while keeping the original number of knits specified in the pattern?
Ack..math. At any rate this probably wouldn't work well unless whatever you were making was never intended to be reversible. Otherwise when you reverse it the difference in stitch would be a problem. If you weren't going to reverse it and just want a warmer double fabric you could just knit on both sides and avoid the problem?... don't know about that.

Quote:
I'm not on Ravelry; I though I requested an invitation but cannot find a reply. (I just have too many email addresses to pick from.) I either stopped before submitting my request or I used an older email address that has become orphaned due to spam.
Try it again and this time remember the email address. And also check the spam folders.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote