Old 04-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
mwhite
Instepping Out

Not bad, looks like it's coming along nicely. Mine are not at all as well developed...just getting them started.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #12
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
Not bad, looks like it's coming along nicely. Mine are not at all as well developed...just getting them started.
Not bad for about 12 years old...the plant in front (next to the little white sign) is my Hydrangea..I won't see anything till June thanks

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
mwhite
Instepping Out

The foliage on ours are just coming out.... I looked yesterday and I have one lil Bearded Iris bloom. I've had them in pots for over 5 years with no blooms at all! They must love their new beds in the ground. Someone from gardeningclub.com sent them to me. You should post that photo on the thread now and later!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #14
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
The foliage on ours are just coming out.... I looked yesterday and I have one lil Bearded Iris bloom. I've had them in pots for over 5 years with no blooms at all! They must love their new beds in the ground. Someone from gardeningclub.com sent them to me. You should post that photo on the thread now and later!
Post where? On KH or gardeningclub.com? The trick to Iris is to (since it's a tuber) do not plant deep in the ground..just let the roots go under, they like to have the top of the tuber showing thru..make sense? Never did um in containers!!!! I'll run out and take a 'close up " of my "larger bed" mostly Iris....

Old 04-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #15
mwhite
Instepping Out

Post here, yeah, I have them about 1/2" below the dirt. Peonies are like that, too.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #16
cheley
Working the Gusset

O.K. will do....Here ya go this is as close as I can get..this is another bed...nice chatting..gotta get dressed before my neighbors think I am totally wacky (running in and out in my robe)!!!!!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3301/...ac6cdabee2.jpg Hey I do have blooms...My African Violets....
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3611/...db3e50f200.jpg

Old 04-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #17
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

woohoo! I love flowers, too!! I live on flowers, never mind food, water, air, etc. LOL!!!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #18
mwhite
Instepping Out

Show yer pretties!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #19
HollyP
Working the Gusset

I never knew Peonies liked to be close to the surface! I planted Peony tubers last year and the bag they came in said 6 inches deep. They never did come up I guess I know why.
My neighbor is building a huge garage in his back yard. Last year he took out a lovely bed full of azaleas, peonies, tulips, daffodils and a saucer magnolia to make room for it. I was gone for the weekend and when I came home I asked him what he did with everything. You can imagine my heart break when he said he took it all to the dump. The azaleas and saucer magnolia were at least 15 years old and absolutely beautiful! I told him if he ever wants to get rid of another plant I would be happy to dig it up and give it a new home. I now have four azaleas I didn't have last spring that he took out to expand the driveway. Can't wait for them to fully bloom, they are budding out now. I think they are in the pink family but am not sure. He also gave me a wheel barrel full of iris last week so I am not holding out any hope of them blooming this year but next year

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #20
mwhite
Instepping Out

OMG! Some people have no interest in plants whatsoever! Our neighbor, near our old house was clearing his lot a couple of years ago and the lot was full of old heirloom Iris. I rushed over and dug up about all of them and sent them to friends from here to Washington state. We called it the McCormick Iris Rescue! LOL! Keep an eye of that fella, he may be supplying you with more for your yard!

And peonies sometimes have to be lifted if erosion is a factor.