Old 04-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #51
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by tokmom View Post
How do you keep slugs off your Hosta's? They treat mine like green salad.
I read today that you can place a shallow container of beer(any brand...they are not particular) around or near your infested area and the slugs will dive in and drown. I don't relish open containers "smelling" up my garden so was told that you empty them every day or so and replace...eventually the slugs won't replenish. Ha! My luck, they'll have taken swimming lessons! Actually, KNOCK ON WOOD, my hostas don't have any slugs on them but I know it's only a matter of time...I find them sleeping under pots in the cool dirt.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #52
Arielluria
Instepping Out

I use a concoction like that for deer too, mine came from Jerry Baker's book. Add to that some Tabasco sauce and chilli powder and you got the recipe. It's supposed to be the same stuff as Deer Off that we pay $16 for 1 qt. at hardware store.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #53
mwhite
Instepping Out

Well, I'm curious to see everyone's "Mother's Day" plants and flowers!!!

I spent my MD money at my favorite local greenhouse....bought a pink Gerbera and a yellow one, too! A very large basket of red red red Million bell petunias cascaded down and tapped me on the shoulder. Also got some bedding plants; salmon impatiens, more petunias in purple and yellow, an "Aloha" million bells and some red Verbena. I had to have a couple of the double petunias as well....what else....oh yeah, got a couple of gorgeous caladiums called "Flame", those are pretty! I did spend it all in one place! LOL~ Happy Mother's Day Everyone!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #54
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

The recipe I have for deer is from Boise Cascade. They developed it to protect the seedling evergreens they grow for reforestation. The deer don't like the taste of the sulfer in the egg yolks and after a few test bites will stay away for a while. The total recipe is 1 dozen eggs (well beaten) to 5 gallons of water. I generally only need 1 gallon so I do 3 eggs to a gallon of water. I've used this for a couple of years in the yard and vegetable garden at home and at a neighbors a couple of miles down the road. I also take care of her perennial beds for her husband as a memorial to her.
The liquid deer repellent sold in local stores is a mixture of rotten egg and garlic juice. It stinks to high heaven and is no more effective than the Boise Cascade mix. Rural gardeners around me have tried everything we can think of to repel deer and this is the most effective if you don't go more than 2 weeks between spraying for at least a couple of months.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #55
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
I read today that you can place a shallow container of beer(any brand...they are not particular) around or near your infested area and the slugs will dive in and drown. I don't relish open containers "smelling" up my garden so was told that you empty them every day or so and replace...eventually the slugs won't replenish. Ha! My luck, they'll have taken swimming lessons! Actually, KNOCK ON WOOD, my hostas don't have any slugs on them but I know it's only a matter of time...I find them sleeping under pots in the cool dirt.
I heard or read that Michelob seems to be the best brand for attracting slugs. I never had a lot of luck with it and am just diligent about checking my beds while weeding and deadheading and merciless about killing them. I tried throwing them to the fish and turtles in my pond, but they wouldn't eat them. The fish just spit them back out. The diatomaceous earth I believe is volcanic and has very sharp edges and pierces the slug and causes it to "bleed" out.
mwhite (05-06-2009)
Old 05-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #56
mwhite
Instepping Out

I did a "salt down" on the slugs yesterday, killed them within seconds but the rain probably washed out all the extra I put down. I will try the Michelob for sure, just hate to have little dishes laying around the garden but if need be, I'll do it! Thanks, Plantgoddess...

NEXT PROBLEM:
Buck, the diggerdog, has dug up my hen & chicks three days in a row!!!

I am so ticked off at him and he got several very meaningful wacks across the hind quarters with a mini broom this afternoon. He has his own swimming pool for goodness sake!!! I know he wants to keep cool and thank heavens the hen & chicks are succulent and can tolerate laying around for hours. BUT! I just don't know how to get him to quit digging in this flower bed!!!! Any suggestions???
My son said we could record me saying, "BUCK! NO DIGGING!!! GET OUT OF THAT FLOWER BED. BAD BAD DOG!!!", put it on an hourly timer with a loudspeaker and the volume turned all the way up! 'Cept Buck would probably be digging between the hours...
Old 05-07-2009, 07:20 AM   #57
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Arielluria View Post
Hey, I know we met on DG (Dave's Garden) way before KH, did I ever send you any of my heirloom Amaryllis seeds? I'll be glad to, I got plenty of the red (the coral never has been a good seed producer). Here's a pic - flowers are 6-7" across:

Anyone interested just PM me your address and I'll send you 50 or so seeds and if you send your email address I'll send the PDF with the plant's history and germinating instructions. The original was my husband's grandmothers back in the 60's or perhaps even as far back as the 40's.

More Amaryllis pics in my Picasa web album: http://picasaweb.google.com/arielluria/LuSGarden#

Another pic:
OMG...what a gorgeous landscape...Oh the deers birds, bugs How refreshing on this chilly, foggy morning...beautiful work

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #58
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Arielluria View Post
More Amaryllis pics in my Picasa web album: http://picasaweb.google.com/arielluria/LuSGarden#

You have a beautiful yard, Lu! Our amaryllis are in full bloom right now, too.

BTW...we bought some of the Decollate snails many years ago and they worked really well. We didn't have to put out any poison for a long time. They are long gone now..maybe we should get some more..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Arielluria (05-07-2009), mwhite (05-07-2009)
Old 05-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #59
cheley
Working the Gusset

Wow, I am sooo excited...I have finally found out what my extra ordinary ground cover is...It's been growing for a few years now and I thought it was some kind of "wild violet"..well, turns out to be a "Wild Ginger" plant....it's leaves are very large (like a violet) but underneath are these little 3 lobed brownish red flowers...very awesome check it out:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3126/...06cf8468fe.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3313/...e0abe18f6a.jpg

anyone seen anything like that before???? I almost emailed Martha to ask if she knew...yes, the flowers smell vaguely like ginger, my book says it's the rhizome that has the fragrance......It's called "Asarum"...

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheley For This Useful Post:
mwhite (05-07-2009)
Old 05-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #60
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by cheley View Post
Wow, I am sooo excited...I have finally found out what my extra ordinary ground cover is...It's been growing for a few years now and I thought it was some kind of "wild violet"..well, turns out to be a "Wild Ginger" plant....it's leaves are very large (like a violet) but underneath are these little 3 lobed brownish red flowers...very awesome check it out:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3126/...06cf8468fe.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3313/...e0abe18f6a.jpg

anyone seen anything like that before???? I almost emailed Martha to ask if she knew...yes, the flowers smell vaguely like ginger, my book says it's the rhizome that has the fragrance......It's called "Asarum"...
They are very nice ground cover and yep, we have them growing wild and a friend has offered to send me some roots. I just didn't know that this is what they were! Thanks for sharing the photos and the info!!!