Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 PM   #81
mwhite
Instepping Out
 
mwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 2,559
Thanks: 1,000
Thanked 919 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by sabrinasmom View Post
Are there more than 1 hummingbird at the feeder at the same time? Mine are greedy, if another one shows up to feed he gets ran off.
Mercy YES! I've counted as many as 25 in one area but I have three feeders all on an old set of monkeybars along with feeders for the other birds. Seems that they are just always whizzing around that monkeybar frame!
__________________
Mary
custoMaryevents
I'm MWhite on Ravelry, too...add me to your friends
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #82
cheley
Working the Gusset
 
cheley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,475
Thanks: 354
Thanked 187 Times in 162 Posts
OMG I Love MoonFlowers....but I have the worst luck with them...will not grow for me!!!!!!! Please send me some seeds
__________________

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #83
mwhite
Instepping Out
 
mwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 2,559
Thanks: 1,000
Thanked 919 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by cheley View Post
OMG I Love MoonFlowers....but I have the worst luck with them...will not grow for me!!!!!!! Please send me some seeds
I certainly will!!! The photo above is ones that grow on a bush and I have some of both pink and white that are vines. Plan to PM your mailing addy sometime in the next month when I collect fresh seeds. I'll just send you a collection of all three. Below is a photo of the pink vining ones....mixed with some caladiums and clematis. The white vining ones haven't bloomed yet.

__________________
Mary
custoMaryevents
I'm MWhite on Ravelry, too...add me to your friends
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #84
cheley
Working the Gusset
 
cheley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,475
Thanks: 354
Thanked 187 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
I certainly will!!! The photo above is ones that grow on a bush and I have some of both pink and white that are vines. Plan to PM your mailing addy sometime in the next month when I collect fresh seeds. I'll just send you a collection of all three. Below is a photo of the pink vining ones....mixed with some caladiums and clematis. The white vining ones haven't bloomed yet.

mmmmm, totally scruptious!!!!!! Thanks sooo much...but wait, should I wait till spring too plant outdoors??? Germinate inside first? Or should I throw them in the ground in fall
__________________

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #85
mwhite
Instepping Out
 
mwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 2,559
Thanks: 1,000
Thanked 919 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by cheley View Post
mmmmm, totally scruptious!!!!!! Thanks sooo much...but wait, should I wait till spring too plant outdoors??? Germinate inside first? Or should I throw them in the ground in fall
It really depends on your zone. The bush variety is perennial here in zone 7. The vining ones have to be replanted every year from seed here.

The trick to germinating the vine seeds (they are large) is to pour boiling water over them and let them sit overnight, then place them inbetween wet paper towels inside a closable baggie, in a dark area (I place mine in the cabinet under my kitchen sink), check them every few days to see if they've sprouted and plant about 1" deep when they sprout. Otherwise, planting them directly into the ground is a "maybe they will/ maybe they won't" germination method.

To germinate the bush type, follow the vine type method without the boiling water and overnight soak. This method works for just about any seed. I've even grown Amaryllis bulbs with this method.

I would definitely wait until about a month before the last frost to start the germination, then once the frost is gone you can plant them into the ground.

The seeds that I send will be fine until Spring and you can just keep them in the packets in a dry location until then. Heck, these plants were grown from 3 yr old seeds so they don't go bad easily.
__________________
Mary
custoMaryevents
I'm MWhite on Ravelry, too...add me to your friends
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
cheley (07-31-2009)
Old 07-31-2009, 07:35 AM   #86
cheley
Working the Gusset
 
cheley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,475
Thanks: 354
Thanked 187 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
It really depends on your zone. The bush variety is perennial here in zone 7. The vining ones have to be replanted every year from seed here.

The trick to germinating the vine seeds (they are large) is to pour boiling water over them and let them sit overnight, then place them inbetween wet paper towels inside a closable baggie, in a dark area (I place mine in the cabinet under my kitchen sink), check them every few days to see if they've sprouted and plant about 1" deep when they sprout. Otherwise, planting them directly into the ground is a "maybe they will/ maybe they won't" germination method.

To germinate the bush type, follow the vine type method without the boiling water and overnight soak. This method works for just about any seed. I've even grown Amaryllis bulbs with this method.

I would definitely wait until about a month before the last frost to start the germination, then once the frost is gone you can plant them into the ground.

The seeds that I send will be fine until Spring and you can just keep them in the packets in a dry location until then. Heck, these plants were grown from 3 yr old seeds so they don't go bad easily.
Thanks for the info BTW I am in zone 5 I will send you my address.....
__________________

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #87
mwhite
Instepping Out
 
mwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 2,559
Thanks: 1,000
Thanked 919 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by cheley View Post
Thanks for the info BTW I am in zone 5 I will send you my address.....
Got it and will mail these as soon as the pods are ripe!
__________________
Mary
custoMaryevents
I'm MWhite on Ravelry, too...add me to your friends
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
cheley (08-09-2009)
Old 10-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #88
mwhite
Instepping Out
 
mwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 2,559
Thanks: 1,000
Thanked 919 Times in 805 Posts
Elephant Ear Bloom


Thought I'd share this photo!

Cheley, I am going to start pulling off Moonflower Vine seed pods this next week....pm me your mailing info! OOPS, I just remembered that you already have!!! (Old age...that's my excuse)
__________________
Mary
custoMaryevents
I'm MWhite on Ravelry, too...add me to your friends

Last edited by mwhite : 10-09-2009 at 11:49 AM.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
cheley (10-09-2009)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I "...join yarn to remaining sts..." AFTER I cut my "working" thread? ...ALSO~ RS vs. WS... MindySue19 How-to Questions 4 01-06-2011 09:13 PM
Looking for Lion Brand "Incredible" colour "Copper Penny" Wendy-Lynne Buy/Sell/Swap 3 03-09-2010 09:50 PM
WOOL AND BOOKS FOR SALE """SOLD""" Lighting57 Buy/Sell/Swap 0 09-30-2007 04:37 PM
FOs-Swirly Flower Cloth, Ducky Cloth and "A" Cloth Lindsey H What'cha Knittin'? 12 09-07-2006 09:20 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 AM.