Old 04-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Daisysmom
Casting On

Joining new color
I am using Duet yarn which comes with a different color skein for heels and toes. I was going to start off at the top of the leg with the main color and then add a few rows of the other color skein and then go back to the original color. My question is...when I change color (for those few rows), should I just keep the original color intact or should I snip it and weave it in? I have never changed colors before but I was wondering if there would be less mess and less waste by just keeping the main color intact.
Thanks so much!!!
Daisysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
doc4dolls
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to doc4dolls
Originally Posted by Daisysmom View Post
I am using Duet yarn which comes with a different color skein for heels and toes. I was going to start off at the top of the leg with the main color and then add a few rows of the other color skein and then go back to the original color. My question is...when I change color (for those few rows), should I just keep the original color intact or should I snip it and weave it in? I have never changed colors before but I was wondering if there would be less mess and less waste by just keeping the main color intact.
Thanks so much!!!
Hi, I find there is less waste and it is easier to keep the yarn in tact. But I change the color at the end or begin of row when possible, in this case you will be joining at the end. The only exception is if you are working a lot of rows you don't want a big loop on the side. When or if you ever weave besure to leave a long enough strand for weaving. I always weave one way then reverse directions and weave some more. It is less likely to come undone and stick out.
Good luck.
Daisysmom (04-12-2009)
Old 04-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
If you're only doing a few rows I'd carry it up the inside of the sock. More than that and I'd cut and weave.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Daisysmom (04-12-2009)
Old 04-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Daisysmom
Casting On

Thanks for your help. I thought it would be best not to cut and weave but I am so new at this that I thought I'd leave the best answer to the experts.
Daisysmom is offline   Reply With Quote