Old 04-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Baby yarn question
What does "DK" mean when it says something like "Comfort DK"? Also what is "fingering weight"? I'm doing a small blankie and I started it with Comfort yarn, but it seems too "blobby" and "big" for a baby--I like neat stitches, all perfectly lined up and the Comfort isn't getting it. My LYS told me it would take me forever to make one using smaller tighter yarn, but I'm not having fun with this big unravely stuff. Any suggestions for Miss Neatnick here? BTW, I'm a beginner, so it's only garter stitch.
pbs is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
sweetiekxx
Ribbing the Cuff

DK stands for double knit and is the weight of the yarn, it is thicker than fingering weight yarn. See http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html for a list of the yarns weights. Fingering weight yarn is a bit thin for making blankets I think. Next time your in your LYS get a ball of DK and compare it to the comfort yarn your using now to get an idea of how much thinner it is. Find out the gauge of the yarn your using (how many stitches per area with xx size needles) it should say on the label. Are you using the recommended needle size for the comfort yarn?
sweetiekxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
DK, also known as light worsted is a weight of yarn. Here's a chart -
http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html

Comfort comes in worsted or DK weight. I've made a couple baby sweaters with Comfort worsted in garter stitch. It is a very splitty yarn, but it's really soft and I liked the way the stitches came out. What size needle are you using?

Baby yarn seems to be about sport to DK weight usually. Fingering is what sock yarn is.

Here are links to the most recent one I did so you can see how the yarn looks-
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...hlight=sweater

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for the info Sweetiekxx and Jan. I'm using size 9 needles as recommended on the label. I love the sweater Jan and a sweater should be bulkier, but I'm wondering if the blankie has to be. We live in the deep south, so it doesn't have to be super warm--I want it to be sort of a lightweight coverlet. Do you think I would be happier with the DK and is it as splintery as the regular Comfort? Lots of people around here use Debbie Bliss yarn and Touche for blankies. I need one of you experts to just say "use blah, blah" and you'll love it.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

No, the DK is just as splitty. I would use a smaller needle though. Make a swatch and try a 7 or 8.

A good yarn for the hotter climates would probably have some cotton in it. These are good choices and inexpensive. I've used them both and like them.

Bernat Cot'n Corn
Bernat Cottontots

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

thanks for the info Jan. Where would I find the Bernat? Are there other yarns with cotton that would do well too? If I work with the Comfort, it's okay to use a smaller size needle than the recommended size?
Old 04-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
I'm using size 9 needles as recommended on the label. I love the sweater Jan and a sweater should be bulkier, but I'm wondering if the blankie has to be. We live in the deep south, so it doesn't have to be super warm--I want it to be sort of a lightweight coverlet.
When you knit a yarn on larger needles it has a looser gauge and may be lighter weight. I knit all my worsted weight sweaters on size 10 or 7mm so they're not as dense and heavy or too hot as they are with a tighter gauge.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Yeah, that's true, too Sue. Worth a try to see if you like the results though pbs.

You can get those at stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and Joann and of course online. I'm sure there are other good cotton blends, too. I can't think of any names offhand.. Oh.. Lion Brand makes some cottons.. Cotton Ease and a couple organic cottons that might be nice.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-15-2009, 06:48 AM   #9
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
I always fool around with different needles sizes to see which result I like the best. So, yes, play around with it. You may be a tight knitter and need to go up a couple of sizes - and depending the results you're looking for you will need to adjust accordingly. I recently did a scarf with cotton that suggested using 5-7's. Based on the stitch pattern and effect I wanted, I ended up using 10-1/2's!

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Ya'll are the best!!!!!! The needle size did the trick--it called for 9's, but I took everyone's advice and tried 7's and liked the look much better. I really like nice neat smaller stitches rather than the larger loose ones. I'm going to stitch a bit with 8's just to see what I think, but I'm pretty pleased with the 7's.
It was also helpful to know others have had a problem with the Comfort yarn splitting--I don't feel quite so inadequate since I know I'm not the only one. I got stronger reading glasses and changed to a bamboo circular needle (which of course slowed me down and gave me a little better control since I'm a new knitter) and I don't seem to be having much of a problem with splitting anymore. Of course that's today, and who knows about tomorrow......
Thanks so much for all the advice and help. I always learn so much from all of you.