Old 04-15-2009, 04:23 AM   #1
yelppuppy
Casting On

Knit :) and :D smiles? (newbie here)
This is a two-fold question. I'm really new at knitting so please let me know if my question doesn't make sense:

I'm knitting a doll similar to the pic below. Now I'd like to add a mouth similar to that. How do you suppose the mouth is knitted? I think in this picture it's a one-row button hole? I tried one myself but his smile looked more like :| than : ) so I'm not sure if one-row buttonhole is the answer.

Say i'd like the smile to be bigger like this :D, so I'm thinking about doing something like a sweater's neckline to his lower lip. From what I read, I need to use two balls and and rest half of the stitches and work in two batches. But then I can't imagine how to join the upper lip part again. (I knit from neck edge up).
yelppuppy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

oh that's so cute!
I think the mouth is actually a little pocket. See how you can sort of see into it (i think there is even a tongue in there!). What i would do then is when i got to where i wanted the mouth to start i would start knitting with a scrap piece of yarn (something in a contrast colour that will slip out easily late). I would knit for the length i wanted the mouth to be and the swtich back to my normal yarn and carry on knitting as if i had done nothing. Then when i was finished that head i would go back and pull out the stitches in the waste yarn.
That would leave me to sections of 'live stitches' above and below an opening. I would then pick up these stitches in the round and would knit a small tube or pocket (probably justa few rows of knit an then a couple of decrease rows and bing off). This then gets tucked inside the head, creating the mouth.
to shape it into a a more curved smile i might add a little bit of short row shaping in the row below were i would insert the waste yarn.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Is that sack boy? My friend is knitting him for her nephew right now... I think Sophie gave you great advice.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
yelppuppy
Casting On

@tarrentella, I actually tried that before I posted and it didn't look right. The reason is there is no edge on the "lips", so he looked like he didn't have lips which is horrifying lol!

I have another picture of this sackboy and you're correct that the inside of the mouth is also knitted. But since he has "lips", I know the creator did some sort of binding off and then picked it up to finish the inside of the mouth.

It's just strange that mine looked like :| But it could be the way she stuffed the head that created a little contour on the lower lip...

@abbily, yeah it's a sackboy
Old 04-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Abbily
Instepping Out

What about following Sophie's idea, and then adding an applied i-cord for lips? I'll ask my friend what she's doing for the mouth and see what she says.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

Old 04-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
yelppuppy
Casting On

@abbily, I think i-chord might be too much. I like the subtle look of the original pic. Thank you for asking your friend! Please keep me posted.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Abbily
Instepping Out

She says the pattern she used didn't have an open mouth, but she thinks it looks better with the mouth. She didn't have any ideas for you, sorry.

The only other thing I can think of is, maybe some little pieces of cardboard on the inside to give it some shape?

Old 04-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
yelppuppy
Casting On

Originally Posted by Abbily View Post
She says the pattern she used didn't have an open mouth, but she thinks it looks better with the mouth. She didn't have any ideas for you, sorry.

The only other thing I can think of is, maybe some little pieces of cardboard on the inside to give it some shape?
Great minds think alike! I tried that too... and it did hold the shape of the smile better.

I'm just obsessed with the version I posted and I'm dying to know how she did it. The edge is so subtle I'm not sure if it's a bind-off/cast-on or just a pocket with cardboards inside. I stared at it for weeks and couldn't figure it out lol!

Here's a close shot. What do you think? Sometimes I swear there's an edge but sometimes I'm not so sure.
http://littlebigplanetnation.com/wp-...4_576_lbpn.jpg
Old 04-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #9
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

I don't know if this helps at all, but here is a Ravelry page that shows some close up photos. It looks like the mouth is bound off and then something is placed in there.

If you're not on Ravelry here is an Etsy page (same pics).

Maybe the pics will help you get an idea you like. Good luck! It's really cute, though I have no idea what it is!

Lieuvena
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
lulubell
Knitting the Flap

Excuse my ignorance.....but who on earth is sackboy???
lulubell is offline   Reply With Quote