Old 04-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
brehon
Casting On

Starting a design?
Good morning! I'm working on a baby blanket which has 3 ducks in a row (vertically, if that makes sense - they're offset from each other just a bit) the middle of the blanket. I've worked the blanket in the main color to the point where the first duck starts. I understand how to read the chart; but am really confused about how to begin the design. Do I simply work the row in the main color to the point where the design starts and then cast on the other colors? I can't see how that would be right? Please help. Thank you very much.
brehon is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
The ducks will be done by using the intarsia method since you have large blocks of color. In this case you'll have 3 skeins or bobbins of yarn going at the same time. To start the duck color just start knitting and go to the other side of the duck, then start a new skein/bobbin of the main color and knit to the end and turn. When you get back to the duck drop the main color, and twist the stitches so there won't be a hole and do the duck color, drop that one twist and pick up the other skein/bobbin for the other side of the duck.

There is a specific way you twist so it looks nice and leaves no holes. Here's some help for intarsia.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques
http://community.knitpicks.com/notes/Color_-_Intarsia

If you have a link to the pattern it'll help us help you.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
brehon
Casting On

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, the pattern is from an older book; so, I don't think that the pattern is on-line anywhere. So, if I understand you correctly, I knit in the main color to the point where the duck begins. Then I join the new color to the main color, knit across, and when I get back to the main color join another bit of the color (another skein/bobbin) to the duck color and continue knitting to the end of the row. That way I'll have the 3 strands of color. Is that right? Thanks also for the videos.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Yes, that's how it's done. That way when you turn your work the yarns will be in the correct place on the other side.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
brehon
Casting On

Wonderful! Thank you.

Now, can you stand another question. What is the best way to join the yarns? Should I join the yarns in the same way I do when I'm about to run out of a ball?
Old 04-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
MrsWildchild
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by brehon View Post
Wonderful! Thank you.

What is the best way to join the yarns? Should I join the yarns in the same way I do when I'm about to run out of a ball?
That depends on how you are joining when you run out. There are also great videos on this website http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips about half way down, under Joining Yarn (Joining a New Color Yarn).

I'm just learning duplicate stitch join in now. You probably don't need to tie them together, it just keeps it snug until you are ready to weave in the ends, which you can do after you have done a few rows.

Last edited by MrsWildchild : 04-19-2009 at 05:03 PM. Reason: OMG spelling and grammatical errors everywhere!
MrsWildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I would just start knitting with the new color. When you get to the end or after several rows you can weave them in. For something like this where don't want a hole you can cross them or twist them gently and weave. Make sure you look at the front though to make sure you're weaving in with a like color so it won't show through.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
brehon
Casting On

Oh, lovely. Thank you very much.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
brehon
Casting On

Thank you for all your help !