Old 04-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
HarleyQuinn
Casting On

Arm holes in a round
Hello! I am new to knitting. I have been crocheting for a while but saw a "Stitch Diva" sweater pattern I really liked and thought I would give it a try. It is made as one piece on circular needles from the top down. I have gotten to the arm holes and am stumped. The pattern says: "place 62 sleeve stitches on holder, place marker, knit across back." My novice question is how do I do this. My stitch holder is non flexible and I'm not sure how to continue the round. I tried looking on youtube no no avail.

Any help is MUCH appreciated!!
HarleyQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
In this case you can't use a regular stitch holder. Thread a strand of yarn through the stitches with a tapestry needle--a contrasting color works best, I think. This way, the sleeve stitches will be able to bend when you connect the front and back.
So you'll work across the back, put the other sleeve stitches on hold and the next stitch that will be available to knit will be the first stitch of the front.

You're basically joining the body at the underarm and working the rest of the way down, going back to finish the sleeves later.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I use another circ to hold my sts, then I can just use it to knit off of when I go to the sleeves. They're pretty flexible.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
HarleyQuinn
Casting On

Thank you so much for both posts! I will use the thread and see how that goes. I think once I get past this part the rest of the sweater will be much easier. This project is certainly a challenge for a first time knitter so hopefully it will be "wearable" in the end. :-)
HarleyQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote