Old 04-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
hookedonknitting
1st Leg of the Journey

change garter stitch to stockinette without problem?
I am new to knitting and I am making wool diaper soakers. I found a pattern I like but I was wondering if I could change the garter stitch to a stockinette without any problems?

here is the pattern:http://www.ottobredesign.com/en/prin...r_cover_en.pdf

Last edited by hookedonknitting : 04-20-2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: added pattern
hookedonknitting is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
MMario
Turning the Heel

If directions are given in "work x number of inches" probably can do it quite easily if in # of rows things will turn out strangly. for soakers I would think you would want the additional cushiness of garter stitch - more surface areas to absorb.
hookedonknitting (04-20-2009)
Old 04-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
The shape of garter stitches are different from stockinette. Garter is almost square where as stockinette are elongated vertically and this can affect the pattern. You could change it if you pay attention to the dimensions, but there isn't a schematic to let you know how many inches it's supposed to be.

It looks like this is knit flat and garter stitch would really be the easiest. If you really want stockinette there are many patterns written for that. Here's a few.
http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com/soa...ern/index.html
http://www.curlypurly.com/pattern.html

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
hookedonknitting (04-22-2009)
Old 04-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
hookedonknitting
1st Leg of the Journey

bah!
So i finally finished the soaker- mattress stitching and all and the leg holes for my little chunky monkey are too small!! So i have decided not to continue with this pattern. The other two patterns that you gave are they more stretchy in the leg holes? How can i tell ahead of time if the holes will be big enough? Maybe I should try knitting on rounds..I really don't like sewing...any ideas?
hookedonknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
The second link I gave you, Curly Purly, is knit in the round so there's no seaming although you do have to graft the crotch. I think you'd have to do that with any pattern though. Problems often arise in patterns when you try to change yarn weight or needle size or adjust the pattern. It's a VERY popular pattern so if you follow the pattern and use the correct weight yarn and needles it should fit just fine. Once you've made it and see how works as written you can play a little bit.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote