View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Chart or Written Directions?
Chart 21 36.84%
Written 36 63.16%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #21
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by bree View Post
I like using charts because I find it easier to see what the stitches are supposed to look like. I use a piece of low-tack painter's tape to highlight the row I'm currently on, and hide the rest of the chart that I don't need to see (yet). Then I can easily move the tape up the chart as I progress.
GREAT IDEA! I've been using sticky notes til they won't stick anymore! But I'm dragging out my painter's tape! I've got some of the green!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #22
bree
1st Leg of the Journey

Yes it works well. I've tried the post-it note thing but they never did stay sticky long enough. The painter's tape works well especially on laminated sheets or those plastic page protectors.
bree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:50 AM   #23
wezyus
Turning the Heel

Preferably charts, i converted all the written pattern into chart n knit a gauge before starting any works
Old 04-22-2009, 03:58 AM   #24
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Definitely charts, it's easier for me to visualize the pattern and to memorize it. I recently converted written instructions for a lace scarf to chart, so i can understand how the pattern looks.
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #25
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
It took me a long time to figure out the charts. I love lace knitting and so it was learn how to, reading written out on lace is long and I would lose my place. I use magnets on a cookie sheet to read my charts now.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:40 AM   #26
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

I can work from both, but prefer written. Some patterns however (a very few) I have even chucked the written instructions in favor of the chart. If there's only a chart, I'll generally write it out before starting.

I invested in the chart keeper from KnitPicks, so when I do use a chart, I just move the magnet up each line. Very easy and won't move or fall off unless I drop the whole thing (which happens sometimes with a 5-year-old and a cat).

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #27
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Shandeh View Post
I cannot use charts, because of my vision. When I was younger, I did a lot of cross stitch using charts, but can't do them anymore because I can't see them well. That's why I switched to knitting. I had never knit a stitch until I couldn't read my cross stitch charts anymore.
Occasionally, I have had to do a bit of knitted chartwork, but it was so taxing on my eyes. I had to use a magnifying glass, reading glasses and very bright light. Not a fun thing to do at all.
Sandy, I have terrible eyesight, wear bifocals and always struggle to see small things. I blow up my charts on the copier or if there are alot of them I take them to kinkos and have them enlarged. Then I color code them and it's actually easier to see than written directions.

Ohhh, just read back and see that someone already suggested that. I guess it's just a personal preferance.

Painters tape!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant idea! I actually have some charts laminated, ones that I know I'll use again or charts for lengthy projects. I have used sticky notes which stick great but painters tape is a GREAT idea!
Shandeh (04-22-2009)
Old 04-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #28
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Staples and Office Depot sell 9"x12" 'laminating sheets' by the 50 sheet box. You can laminate an entire 8x11 sheet, or cut it into smaller pieces and laminate a recipe card! Whatever! I use them all the time. I 'laminated' my husband's RWT retirement card. He wanted it preserved for his wallet!

I especially use them to laminate charts and 'keys' that I use a lot.

Yeah, the painter's tape would be perfect to use on a laminated chart!

This pack of 50 'self seal' laminating sheets was not expensive, about $24. That's about 48 cents per sheet. It beats the fee for regular hot laminating at a print counter! Plus, it's convenient.

Here are some of the spare half sheets I use for little stuff:

My first box/packet was AVERY brand. This new packet is GBC. It all works the same. It's good thing to have around!

OFFICE DEPOT: Avery & GBC brands for sale!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
GinnyG (04-23-2009), Jan in CA (04-22-2009), lelvsdgs (04-22-2009), texangryphon (04-22-2009), wezyus (04-23-2009)
Old 04-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #29
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

I like charts. I tend to get lost in written instructions if there are a lot of stitches, I like charts that I can cross off so I know where I am. It was a little intimidating when I started using them because I did get confused but now that I know roughly what I'm doing I'll take the chart over the written instructions.

rachejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #30
Anarfea
1st Leg of the Journey

Charts!!!

I didn't know there were charted patterns when I was a beginner, and the first time I knit a lace scarf there were written out instructions and I was having so much difficulty visualizing what I was supposed to be doing I got out some graph paper and read the pattern through making a chart with all of my own symbols.

And you know what? I intuitively did it right to left and left out the wrong side rows (stockinette lace) and thought I was so clever. Of course I eventually discovered that other people already had invented charts, but I still sometimes "re-chart" things in excell to add colors, etc--also to add more repeats to see how the pattern looks on top of itself.

Find me on Ravelry as TheNatKnits

Last edited by Anarfea : 04-22-2009 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Didn't read through the whole thread first...
Anarfea is offline   Reply With Quote