View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Chart or Written Directions?
Chart 21 36.84%
Written 36 63.16%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #31
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

I picked written but it really depends on what it is-

For lace- charts
anything with cables- written (not sure why- even though the symbols are pretty much a picture of the cable I still have a hard time without the written directions esp if it's more complicated than a c4b or c4f)
colorwork- charts

Everything else I will usually pick the written instructions. I write each line on an index card and group instructions/rewrite in the way it makes sense to me.

I think the reason I prefer written most of the time is that it's easier to keep my place if I have to set it down- my youngest adores moving my magnets around on charts, or the dog paws the thing & rakes the magnets off, etc.

So chartwork is only when the whole house is asleep.

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #32
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
anything with cables- written (not sure why- even though the symbols are pretty much a picture of the cable I still have a hard time without the written directions esp if it's more complicated than a c4b or c4f)
Yep, lace charts aren't too bad, but cable charts just leave me going --- whaaaaat?

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #33
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Charts are just a jumble to me... so I chose written...
Sometimes I have to take the written ones and rewrite them for myself so that I can keep things straight.
I used to follow charts when I made Buffalo sweaters but that was long ago and quite easy as the charts where nice a big.
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #34
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

I just don't get the charts. Maybe someday I will have the time to really figure them out. I prefer written and like TEMA, I will sometimes condense or rewrite that pattern to streamline it.

There were some really great tips here though, the laminating sheets and the painters tape are brilliant. I can see using those for dishcloth patterns.

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #35
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

While I see the advantage of charts, I just get so confused with the symbols. I know that K means knit and P means purl, but a little dot in a square...well, was that the knit or the purl. And C4B is clear to me, but the symbols they use for that....it just doesn't speak to me.

When I read written instructions, I just read and knit as I go. When I have a chart, I look at the symbol in the chart, scan down to find the symbol in the legend, look up at the chart and make sure I'm looking at the right thing, read the instructions for what that symbol means, then knit the instructions, and move on to the next square of the chart.

Maybe if I practiced a lot more, it would flow...but for now charts are all Greek to me and slow me WAY down!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #36
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Shandeh View Post

Y'all are gonna give me a big head.
I might have to sign up for the Mrs America pageant.
And how lovely you will look in your hand-knitted evening gown!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa R. For This Useful Post:
Shandeh (04-23-2009)
Old 04-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #37
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

For those using painter's tape and such, just thought I'd mention this product. It's highlighter tape and is supposed to be excellent for charts and such.

It's probably more expensive, I haven't used it, but thought I'd throw that out just in case someone didn't know and might be interested in it.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #38
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

I chose written...for now. I'm only beginning to knit with charts. My last project was a lace headband that I used a chart with. I'm currently using a chart, and my next project will be with a chart. I def. think that I will end up preferring charts. As for now, I just don't have enough experience with them to say that.

Those are great ideas for using charts everyone! I was just using the post it notes! I will have to keep all this in mind if I start using charts regularly. Thanks!

Lieuvena
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #39
Arielluria
Instepping Out

My thing against charts is that though being visual it would seem easier (for me) to do the pattern, however, I find it harder to figure out where I am without counting the stitches on my needle, and since charts are rather small, it's a pain!
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #40
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Arielluria View Post
My thing against charts is that though being visual it would seem easier (for me) to do the pattern, however, I find it harder to figure out where I am without counting the stitches on my needle, and since charts are rather small, it's a pain!
That's easily solved by enlarging it on a copy machine!! Most folks seem to do that.