View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Chart or Written Directions?
Chart 21 36.84%
Written 36 63.16%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #41
Craw
Knitting the Flap

I chose written. I like that a chart is sometimes included because it gives me a visual picture for my head but if I'm going to make the pattern, it has to be written. I get confused too easily following charts and unfortunately, my eyesight is very poor as well. I just got back from the eye doc's the other day and there was no good news. :( Blowing up a chart wouldn't make a difference to me. When it all globs together from staring at it, or one of my many, enormous floaters are in the way, it's unreadable at any size. At least with words, you can shake your head, clear the blur, and pick up where you left off.
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #42
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

I seem to be in the minority with a lot of knitting things... guess I'm just strange...

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #43
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
True you can enlarge the chart, but you still have to count sts, while a text pattern just says - k9. Some patterns you can figure it out by reading your knitting, but until you get the sts established, it's trickier.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #44
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

For long spans of one type of stitch I will write on the chart how many it is... like in the middle of 6 knit or purl stitches I'll write a 6. I heard that from the lady that does the Stitch It podcasts.

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
Old 04-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #45
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I would have said written directions until recently. I have become more used to using charts and I find them easier now. It's definitely something that you have to get used to though.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #46
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

help with charts
When I do use a chart- I prep it first:

For any # of stitches (over 4 or so) that are the same in a row, I write the # in the first box of that "run" (on the appropriate side of the run, depending on if I am reading the row right to left or left to right)

I color the k2tog blue and the ssk pink, plus any other inc/dec that make sense in other colors.

I use a long magnet above the row I am knitting (using a magnet board or cookie sheet) and I also use 2 post-its. I work between the post-its (& remember to cover up what I have just done BEFORE moving the other one to show more stitches-that's how lost I get if I don't) I break the row down how it makes sense to me.

Doing these makes reading charts much easier (but still not quite idiot proof because I still mess up sometimes.)

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #47
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Must do:

1) enlarge the charts
2) color code the difficult-to-remember symbols
3) use a ruler (or other product) to lay beneath the line you're working on

There have been times when I used post-it notes to mask all parts of the chart EXCEPT the line I was working on. All lines above and below the 'working' line were covered up!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #48
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

I've covered everything up before too. Now I usually mark it with something (my favorite is my chart reader, but my toddler son loves it too and has done something with it) like a magnet strip or a ruler. I put mine above, mostly from working color patterns as I can see what color should be below the one I'm working and it helps me see when I've made a mistake.

I also mark my charts where I put my stitch markers. I use lots of stitch markers for lace knitting. If the repeat is short I just do it with the repeat. But if it's a 20 or so stitch repeat I put stitch markers in the middle of the repeat and mark the chart, it helps me to see when I've made a mistake more quickly and helps keep everything straight. I use different stitch markers in the middle of the pattern than between repeats too.

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
Old 04-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #49
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by MAmaDawn View Post
I also mark my charts where I put my stitch markers...... I use different stitch markers in the middle of the pattern than between repeats too.
Me, too! I'm a stitch marker user ALL THE WAY!

Right now, I'm making a simple sleeve for a simple child's sweater. I have st markers at each end, denoting where the increases begin. This is a good quick way to eyeball if I've forgotten to increase ON BOTH ENDS. No more counting and recounting across the rows...only to find out 1 inc has been left out...and then to try to figure out WHICH END is missing it's increase!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #50
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Me, too! I'm a stitch marker user ALL THE WAY!

Right now, I'm making a simple sleeve for a simple child's sweater. I have st markers at each end, denoting where the increases begin. This is a good quick way to eyeball if I've forgotten to increase ON BOTH ENDS. No more counting and recounting across the rows...only to find out 1 inc has been left out...and then to try to figure out WHICH END is missing it's increase!
Great minds and all.... one thing that keeps happening to my snowrose Shawl is that one of the yo will slip over the stitch marker. I'm glad that I heard on a the KnitPicks Podcast (I love podcasts) to look for that before I started it. I would have been tinking rows or ripping back to my lifeline when I don't need to.

I've found stitch markers can also make something that seems too complex to be mindless, sudden become mindless.

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
The Following User Says Thank You to MAmaDawn For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (04-23-2009)