Old 04-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
lynnruth
Casting On

change from straight needle to circular for neck
Have mainly knit shawls and hats so need some help with a pattern alternation I would like to make. Knitting a jumper which has hem, neckline and armhole trim. Pattern calls for the usual sewing together of one shoulder, pick up stitiches, knit neck trim then seam second shoulder and trim. I would like to seam both shoulders using 3 needle bindoff then pick up neckline stitches on a circular needle and finish the neckline trim (just 3 rows) on the circular needle. Would like to close side seams and do the same thing with the arm hole trim on a circular needle. If anyone has done this before I would appreciate any suggestions, warnings or maybe just an OK that is doable. Thanks.
lynnruth is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Hi LynnRuth!

I know exactly what you mean.

I would go ahead and close the shoulder seams using the 3-needle bind off, too!

Then, begin picking up the neckline stitches AT A SHOULDER SEAM location. Using a circular needle (prolly a 16" will do)...begin to knit in the round, marking the beginning of the round with a stitch marker.

When the neckline is satisfactory, begin the bind-off round at the stitch marker.

Same principle for the trim on the armholes.

Be very fastidious on what you do with that last bind-off stitch. After you cut the yarn, and thread it back through the last remaining stitch...careful how much you cinch it up...careful how you work the tail into the underside. You don't want the end of the bind off to look irregular.

I'm sure you know what I mean.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
lynnruth (04-21-2009)
Old 04-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
lynnruth
Casting On

Thanks so much. I really think in the long run going to the circular needle will be easier and look nicer.
lynnruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
I so totally agree with you! I always convert the flat neckline directions for an 'in the round' version! Good thinking!

Some folks are intimidated with 'in the round', and/or may not have dpn's or small circs (16") for 'in the round'...so the flat method allows them to create the neckline. Folks who have dpn's and circs already know that you can convert to 'in the round' just about any ole time you want with necklines and armhole trim.

I haven't seen a pattern in ages that asks me to knit the neckline flat, come to think of it.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
lynnruth (04-21-2009)