Old 04-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
christa778
Casting On

Need SOFT wool for my soaker???
Hi my name is Christa and I have been knitting for about 3 years now and LOVE it!! I am expecting our 3rd baby in August and really want to get a headstart on making a diaper soaker for her. My question is where is the best place to get wool for the soaker? I want the softest wool you can get since she will be wearing it a lot. I don't mind purchasing from an online store if that is where you have found the best wool. Thanks so much!!!
christa778 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Try a merino heavy sock wool. It'll be washable, it'll be soft, it'll wear well.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,783 Times in 7,146 Posts
Do you have a specific pattern you use? What weight yarn do you need for it?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
christa778
Casting On

The pattern calls for Worsted Weight at least 75% wool...I used Merino's wool from JoAnn's before and my soaker felted a lot around the crotch and wasn't soft at all...even kind of itchy=(...My sister in law made me a pair of longies and they have worn great not sure if they are 100% wool but they do the job...just don't know where she got it=(
christa778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,783 Times in 7,146 Posts
That info should help. One thing to note.. non superwash wool felts. That's the nature of the beast so some felting is to be expected I would think in areas where the baby moves a lot especially as they get older. It's true though that some yarns felt more quickly than others. I have heard that superwash wool is not good for soakers though.

I am very sensitive to wool so I don't have a lot of experience. What some people find soft I still find itchy. Here are some that are the least itchy for me so would probably be considered soft for most people.

Malabrigo
Berroco Ultra Alpaca (the fuzzies in alpaca can be itchy for some people)
100purewool.com

I also found this link comparing soaker yarns
http://www.bluegoosedesigns.net/pages/allaboutwool.php

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
hookedonknitting
1st Leg of the Journey

I made one which had alpaca- very soft...but...I don't recommend if you are having a boy as somehow the fibers can get into the diaper and wrap around things! and well it can shed onto a damp bum! not sure if this was because it wasn't 100% alpaca but something to consider. I was just thinking what about a hemp or bamboo yarn? I am trying to knit soakers too so let me know how it goes if you do find something that works!
hookedonknitting is offline   Reply With Quote