Old 04-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
pinktoque
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via ICQ to pinktoque Send a message via AIM to pinktoque Send a message via MSN to pinktoque Send a message via Yahoo to pinktoque
How To Q: Reading a Chart?
I know I am the biggest noob knitter ever, but I have just recently decided to take on a simple lace pattern. I've mostly done boring or very simple stuff until now, and I think I'm ready to try a little lace. I decided to pick a small-ish pattern so I'd not get discouraged or overwhelmed, and so I chose the Victorian Lace Headband by KnitPicks.

The pattern has a chart. I've never read a knitting chart before. And as I looked at it, it seemed simple enough, but perhaps I'm overanalyzing and suddenly I am thinking that maybe I don't know how to read it. Here is the chart and my question:

So I guess my question is -- do I read this right to left (Which is what I'm assuming, to start at 1:1, row1:stitch1) and then do I keep going as I show in the first example, where I then move up to row 2, starting at stitch 1? OR... since I "turn" the work at the end of a knitted row technically, perhaps I am supposed to start at row 2, stitch 18 and work back left to right?

I am possibly the biggest loser of all time right now and may be WAY overanalyzing this, but I want to be sure I understand HOW to read a knitting chart before I dive into using them, to possibly save me a little heartache later, lol

Thank you kindly for any help you can give to help me understand how to read this chart.

http://craftblog.pinktoque.com
I knit under my desk at work.

KER+ Exp+ SPM->+ KP++@ Bam+(+) Wool+(+) Cot+(+) Syn+(+) Stash(+) Scale+ Fin-> Ent? FI-> Int? Tex-> Lace-> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN+ ML+ Swatch- KIP++ Blog+++ FO+ WIP(+) GaugeW++ ALTCr++Sw+(+)
pinktoque is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
astonh
Turning the Heel

You read as shown in your second pix.

Starting at row 1 you read from right to left. On Row 2 you read from your left to your right.

hope that helps.

P.S. and you aren't a loser. I think every knitter first time we used a chart wondered, and asked, the same thing. I know I did anyway. Best of luck on your project!

FO: Garter Stitch Baby Kimono, Baby Roots Cardigan, Knitted Baby Hat, Custom Adjustable Felted Guitar Strap, Flirtation Cozy, Modified Knit Coffee Sleeve, Scarf, My So-Called Scarf, Baby Converse Shoes, Balaclava, Various Dish/Wash Cloths

www.trowelanderror.blogspot.com
Oh...and I'm heajames on Ravelry
astonh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to astonh For This Useful Post:
pinktoque (04-29-2009)
Old 04-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If you're working flat, you read right to left on the odd rows (RS) and left to right on the even rows (WS). If working in the round you read all rows right to left.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
astonh (04-28-2009), laliloo (05-25-2009), pinktoque (04-29-2009)
Old 04-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
astonh
Turning the Heel

As I've not done a chart in the round, I didn't know this but does make perfect sense.

Learn something every day! Now just to remember it when that time comes that I'm following a chart while knitting in the round. Otherwise, I'll be back asking the same question. ;O)

FO: Garter Stitch Baby Kimono, Baby Roots Cardigan, Knitted Baby Hat, Custom Adjustable Felted Guitar Strap, Flirtation Cozy, Modified Knit Coffee Sleeve, Scarf, My So-Called Scarf, Baby Converse Shoes, Balaclava, Various Dish/Wash Cloths

www.trowelanderror.blogspot.com
Oh...and I'm heajames on Ravelry
astonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

I recently bought one of the Knit Picks sampler sock yarns (16 skeins for $50 - enough to make a pair of socks with each color) and it came with a bunch of different sock patterns to try. I had never worked off of charts before and they were ALL charts. I took the time and wrote them out in directions that were easier for me to follow and now, it's all systems go. For me, charts are too confusing as I have to keep looking at the Key each time a new icon is used. If I write it out, I only have to look at my directions.
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I usually color code my key/chart...after a few rows/rounds I usually know green=this and pink=this...and then I don't have to refer back to the chart...

Where I have been doing so many things in the round chart wise it's really hard for me to go back to reading the chart flat...I usually have to rip back and start over...I'm working on a shawl right now so took a red pen and drew an error to remind me go back the other way

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
pinktoque
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via ICQ to pinktoque Send a message via AIM to pinktoque Send a message via MSN to pinktoque Send a message via Yahoo to pinktoque
Thanks everyone for your help -- the more I think of it, the more it makes sense to go with chart 2 for flat knitting and chart 1 for knitting in the round. I appreciate the help and encouragement :D

http://craftblog.pinktoque.com
I knit under my desk at work.

KER+ Exp+ SPM->+ KP++@ Bam+(+) Wool+(+) Cot+(+) Syn+(+) Stash(+) Scale+ Fin-> Ent? FI-> Int? Tex-> Lace-> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN+ ML+ Swatch- KIP++ Blog+++ FO+ WIP(+) GaugeW++ ALTCr++Sw+(+)
pinktoque is offline   Reply With Quote