Old 04-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I use zippered STORAGE BAGS found at Woodland Woolworks website.

Here is a photo of them, form the website:

They are $1.75 (holds 12 balls) and $2.25 (holds 30 balls)

And here is how they 'stack up' in a storage closet at my house:

They are the greatest, and I swear by them!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
dustinac (04-29-2009), GinnyG (04-29-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
cftwo
Working the Gusset

Artlady - I love your system! I use ziploc bags (to keep like yarns together) inside of large plastic bins (to keep all the yarns contained in a small area. I have shelves set up in a closet which is where I keep my plastic bins. I have 2 bins of yarn, and 2 smaller bins of sewing/fabric stuff. I use organizer drawers (you can find them at WalMart near the plastic bins) to take care of the little things. I have 1 for my "sewing basics", one for crochet hooks and yarn needles, one for beads I use in my cross-stitch, etc. The drawers are stackable and are great for little things like that. I use them in my linen closet to hold overflow from the medicine cabinet and things like nail polish.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #13
Arielluria
Instepping Out

I see nothing to be ashamed about. It's fairly organized for what you have. I love the modular clear plastic drawers as you have at the bottom. I totally organized my sewing room with several of those (only deeper) from Walmart. The other stuff I put into canvas bins (also from Walmart), the ones that have a little window for a label on the outside. That way I could also know what I have and where without having to have it all visible. So I separated into such as: sock yarn, sweater amounts (keep all my sweaters' worth of yarn in one or two bins), notions, etc.

The canvas ones also come in two sizes as Wallyworld, so check them out. You gotta work with what you have and what you have isn't so bad, you just need to hide it in plain sight . Don't forget a labelmaker makes ALL the difference. I'm on my 2nd one .

ALSO: I just finished reading a booklet I bought at the checkout counter at the supermarket (organization for dummies type thing).....the author recommended separating things on shelves with sweater separators that look like the pic below. I thought it was a great idea. She recommended the wooden ones, which you might prefer to the wire one in the pic. That would help keep your like items together without falling all around and look and feel better organized. I got this pic from www.organize.com or try something like the Containerstore.com

A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:

Last edited by Arielluria : 04-29-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Sweater shelf organizer pic
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arielluria For This Useful Post:
GinnyG (04-29-2009)
Old 04-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #14
Sunni
Ribbing the Cuff

I found some small blanket bags at cleanersupply.com under the packaging tab. Very inexpensive, they are $6.48 for 12 until the end of April, I ordered them on Wednesday and had them by Friday! they are awesome!! and they have mesh sides to keep critters out and let air in. They are perfect size for an entire chunky fair isle sweater project with pattern. In another I have almost 2 pounds of various fibers and they are clear so you can see what the heck is where

ETA: They stack great as well

TrunkFullOYarn on Ravelry!
Sunni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunni For This Useful Post:
GinnyG (04-29-2009)
Old 04-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #15
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I think that's an ideal place for those plastic drawers you can get at Target. Maybe not cheap, but they would last a long time and it would be EASY to get to your stash. No pulling out bins.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
GinnyG (04-29-2009)
Old 04-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #16
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Thanks for so many GREAT ideas. I did not realize you could buy the clear zipped bags for such a reasonable price. I think I'm going to go with the ceiling to fllor shelving plan and use the clear pouches to seperate the yarn.

My "dream wall" has the yarn seperated by weight with the wall going from lightest to bulkiest. I'll take out the counter and cabinets and go with open shelves.

Leaving for 10 days on Sat, THAT will be my project when I get home!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #17
stisdale
1st Leg of the Journey

All I can say is HOLY CRAP THAT'S A LOT OF YARN! My goodness! :P Man, I thought I had a lot of yarn, I realize its small compared to some of the other knitters on this forum! Not that it's a good or bad thing, I just think it's so interesting! I have 1 1/2 drawers full of yarn and I thought "Geez I better start knitting some stuff ASAP to use up all this yarn." You guys take the cake!
stisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #18
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by stisdale View Post
All I can say is HOLY CRAP THAT'S A LOT OF YARN! My goodness! :P Man, I thought I had a lot of yarn, I realize its small compared to some of the other knitters on this forum! Not that it's a good or bad thing, I just think it's so interesting! I have 1 1/2 drawers full of yarn and I thought "Geez I better start knitting some stuff ASAP to use up all this yarn." You guys take the cake!
And actually..some people have a lot more than that. Not me mind you, but I've heard stories of sheds and entire bedrooms taken up. I've got a fair amount now so I'm good in the event of a catastrophe.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #19
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
And actually..some people have a lot more than that. Not me mind you, but I've heard stories of sheds and entire bedrooms taken up. I've got a fair amount now so I'm good in the event of a catastrophe.
Made me think of this blog post, don't know the person or if he/she is on KH, but it's labelled The World's Biggest Stash?
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #20
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Arielluria View Post
Made me think of this blog post, don't know the person or if he/she is on KH, but it's labelled The World's Biggest Stash?
That's not a stash..that's a yarn store!

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~