Old 04-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
If you like circs you might consider investing in an interchangeable set. It'll save you money in the long run and you rarely run out of sizes.
Plus as the sweater grows and shrinks you change the cord and the spare cords act as stitch holders.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I didn't notice that much of a problem when I was using 14" straights. But now I use circular.
Yeah, neither did I.
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
crocee
Knitting the Flap

Well Hobby Lobby was out of all size 7 needles. I have asked them to let me know when they get some in so hopefully they will. Hobby Lobby is sorely lacking in their knitting notions lately, today there was very little. I will probably be heading back to Little Rock next week so I could pick up some then.
crocee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #14
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
Well Hobby Lobby was out of all size 7 needles. I have asked them to let me know when they get some in so hopefully they will. Hobby Lobby is sorely lacking in their knitting notions lately, today there was very little. I will probably be heading back to Little Rock next week so I could pick up some then.
My Walmart carries bamboo circulars. I'm not sure if they carry metal circulars or not.

Knit Picks is pretty fast on their shipping if your situation is such to afford the Options kit.
It really is a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of fixed circulars.
Since you're adept at DPNs you shouldn't need any circular cables that are shorter than comes in the kit.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:23 AM   #15
crocee
Knitting the Flap

Of the 6 Walmarts within a 50 mile radius of me 4 carry circs. They ONLY carry sizes 9,10, and 10 1/2. I will check out KnitPicks if Little Rock proves futile. I am trying to stay away from buying on KnitPicks because they have SOOOOOOO much I want.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #16
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

I know what you mean about Knit Picks. I hate to be an enabler (yeah, right!) but I love them. I have the harmony wood set and 1 pair of the nickel plated tips. I love my needles from them. (and am totally getting a nickel set when I can!) They're fast, have wonderful customer service, & the prices are great. I keep a lot of items "saved for later" in my cart, and usually add things to the cart every now & then when I have the $ to. This way I can keep track of everything I really want & prioritize.

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #17
pinktoque
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via ICQ to pinktoque Send a message via AIM to pinktoque Send a message via MSN to pinktoque Send a message via Yahoo to pinktoque
Originally Posted by Simply_Renee View Post
I know what you mean about Knit Picks. I hate to be an enabler (yeah, right!) but I love them. I have the harmony wood set and 1 pair of the nickel plated tips. I love my needles from them. (and am totally getting a nickel set when I can!) They're fast, have wonderful customer service, & the prices are great. I keep a lot of items "saved for later" in my cart, and usually add things to the cart every now & then when I have the $ to. This way I can keep track of everything I really want & prioritize.

Ooh now this is a smart way to keep a little personal wishlist -- I've always wished KnitPicks had a "wishlist" function so you could save things to your wishlist instead of your cart -- and then a way to share that wishlist with anyone via email and a link, so that the non-knitters in your life (gasp, there are some out there who don't knit?!) who want to buy you something can check out your wishlist and easily take things from your wishlist and into their cart. Maybe even if someone takes something from your wishlist to put in their cart it removes the item from your wishlist, and since you'd be registered with KP, when the other person does that and they go to purchase, it could automatically fill in your mailing address as the shipping address to make gift giving easier! Oh, but I'm just dreaming a little.

http://craftblog.pinktoque.com
I knit under my desk at work.

KER+ Exp+ SPM->+ KP++@ Bam+(+) Wool+(+) Cot+(+) Syn+(+) Stash(+) Scale+ Fin-> Ent? FI-> Int? Tex-> Lace-> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN+ ML+ Swatch- KIP++ Blog+++ FO+ WIP(+) GaugeW++ ALTCr++Sw+(+)
pinktoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #18
luvmykid28
Turning the Heel

I would bite the bullet and get the knitpicks interchangeables. I have the harmonies and the nickel plates sets. I prefer the nickel, but use both when I knit in the round with 2 circs.

I give this advice because when I 1st started knitting, I tried all the different needles I could find in the chain stores. metal Straights, "cheap" metal circs, bamboo straights and circs, DPNs all of them made me crazy. The straights got caught on things (like you) and projects were heavy on the needles. "Cheap" circs made me crazy with the little bend on the needles where they connect to the cable. Not to mention the cables lack of flex. I finally bought the knitpicks set. Now I have a fairly large collection of other needles I will not use. Every time I go to use them , I just get frustrated and pull our the knitpicks.

I have three passions:
1. My husband
2. My daughter
3. Knitting
Everything else can wait.
luvmykid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #19
crocee
Knitting the Flap

My mother came to the rescue. She had a 29" size 7 tat belonged to my grandmother. My work is now on a circular needle and is a lot easier to control. It hurts my hands a little so I take a lot for short breaks. I have the same trouble with crochet. I wonder why the DPNs and the straights don't bother me but circs and crochet needles do.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:33 AM   #20
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
It might be the length of the needle itself, but I think you'll get used to it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote