View Poll Results: How Much Stash Do YOU Wish To Have?
Stash is good. The more the merrier! 25 69.44%
I like the little or no stash idea. 5 13.89%
I have little or no stash already. 8 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I have a box and I don't want to have any more stash than what can fit in that box. It's a pretty good sized box -- it holds a decent amount of yarn, enough for several future projects, although at the moment I have more than it can hold.

Once I've used up the Red Heart Super Saver (those skeins are huge!) I'll have room for lots of other yarns.

I'm a scrapbooker and I just don't want to have a yarn stash that rivals my scrapbooking stash.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
swcheng15
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
If I have yarn I don't care to use for me personally I use it for charity.
That's what I do, though I DID buy a whole stash of wool yarn just to make for charity. On the other hand, I used to go to Joanns or Michaels and just buy yarn because I have the intention of using them. Low and behold, I still have them and need to use them. So although I LOVE to have a large stash, it's not truly economical. Now I'm only buying yarn if I have a serious project in mind. The yarn I currently have I'll either be using for donation knitting or as gifts.

Sab
Check out my blog at www.xanga.com/swcheng15

swcheng15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Originally Posted by swcheng15 View Post
That's what I do, though I DID buy a whole stash of wool yarn just to make for charity.
I did the same thing for the Afghans for Afghans project. I bought a bunch of Cascade 220. I don't use wool for myself so I do have to buy that.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #14
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

During this unstable economic time, I have found myself picking up yarn here and there and boy am I glad I did. I would have nothing to knit if I hadn't picked up that yarn. I allow my self between $10-$15 each paycheck to use on yarn, needles or other supplies. I also only buy on sale or if I have a coupon. Shopping on line saves me quite a bit of money too.

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #15
Arielluria
Instepping Out

That's true! You guys have given me all SORTS of great reasons NOT to let my stash get so small..........
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #16
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

I had a lot of acrylic that I recently got rid of, and then I soon realized that the acrylic was the majority of my stash! But stash is good, the bigger the better! LOLZ One you reach SABLE (Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy), you can stop!
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #17
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO CLEAN UP THEIR ACRYLIC STASH.........

Two great places to use or donate your acrylic...Red Heart SS or any other 100% acrylic. Check out the charity forum: the Oddball Pet Snuggles or the Handmade Afghan Project (HAP). HAP puts afghans together for wounded warriors and also has a group on Ravelry.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=83565
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=78428
http://www.rectangle6x9.org/
Attached Images:

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sgtpam For This Useful Post:
Shandeh (05-02-2009)
Old 05-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #18
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I have a stash and I'm not afraid to admit it. My stash isn't huge- two tupperware bins (the ones that can go under the bed, but don't quite fit) and a large basket or two. I love yarn and I agree with Ginny- I don't buy myself many other extravagances, so why not yarn? I have a penchant for beautiful hand dyed sock yarn mostly. It's so gorgeous that I can't resist it. Plus the Yarn Harlot says that sock yarn doesn't count as stash so therefore I barely have any stash at all.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:52 AM   #19
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
I am the first to admit that I am a stash-aholic. I have almost 1000 different kinds of yarn. Way more yarn than I will ever use in this one lifetime.

But, I am a creative spirit. I like to design my own patterns, or change existing ones. I enjoy the freedom of having several different yarns to choose from in my stash when starting a new project. Sometimes, I can "hear" my yarn telling me what it wants to be.

I really love putting all my stash into Ravelry, and watching it grow there. And I can search through all the photos to decide what I want to make next.

For example, I'm wanting to make a shrug for my mother right now. I already have the pattern. Now, I just need to decide which yarn I want to use. So, last night, I looked through my stash in Ravelry, looking at the different colors, then looking at the details of the yarn to see if it will work with the pattern. Next, I looked to see what others have made with the yarn, deciding if the drape of the yarn will be right with my shrug pattern.

I'm still trying to pin down the exact yarn I want, but I'm learning toward a vintage DK yarn I've had for several years. The color is right, and it has a nice sheen to it. I'm doing a gauge swatch right now to see how it looks.

I find yarn on ebay, and at my cousin's yarn shop. I also buy yarn on sale at chain stores, or at Big Lots and Tuesday Morning. I believe that I'll use it eventually. If I don't, I can always sell some of it on eBay or Ravelry later on....or give some of it to charity.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote