Old 04-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
blessedtosew
1st Leg of the Journey

altering this crochet pattern?
I have this crocheted amigurumi nativity pattern:. I have seen a crocheted nativity scene done in #10 crochet thread before and it was so gorgeous. Occassionally the pattern for it floats around on ebay, but I always miss it. Do you think I could just used thread crochet on this? I know I would get smaller figures, but that is what I want. I just don't want them to be too small.
blessedtosew is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-28-2009, 12:27 AM   #2
merryknitter
Knitting the Flap

Adorable!
That is the cutest pattern...would love to try it myself...I don't have an answer for you, but I would like to see how that would turn out...try it and see...keep us posted! I might just have to order that booklet!
Old 04-28-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
gargoylelib
Turning the Heel

Hi!

I have on several occasions taken patterns that were intended for worsted weight yarn and done them with smaller yarn in order to shrink the pattern. The smallest I have gone is down to a 1 mm hook with tatting thread. I have always just followed the pattern as is and have gotten good results.

The only way you will be able to tell for sure that it will work out how you want is to make up one of the figures in the crochet cotton and see what size it comes out. I don't know if there is an exact science for figuring out the shrinkage

Libbie

gargoylelib on Ravelry
gargoylelib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by gargoylelib View Post
Hi!

I have on several occasions taken patterns that were intended for worsted weight yarn and done them with smaller yarn in order to shrink the pattern. The smallest I have gone is down to a 1 mm hook with tatting thread. I have always just followed the pattern as is and have gotten good results.

The only way you will be able to tell for sure that it will work out how you want is to make up one of the figures in the crochet cotton and see what size it comes out. I don't know if there is an exact science for figuring out the shrinkage

Libbie

Exact science? Is Mathematics exact enough for your needs? Swatch using the stitch and the chosen, smaller crochet thread with hook suggested on the thread's label. Measure gauge and then divide the stitch counts by the stitches per inch (or cm) to get an idea of the size using the chosen crochet thread.

Or well, I thought I had a link with yarn standards that listed the stitch counts and hook sizes for various weights of yarn and thread but it was only for yarn with weight 0 being lace or sock weight. It barely mentions steel crochet hook sizes or crochet thread sizes at all.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:52 AM   #5
blessedtosew
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks everyone.
blessedtosew is offline   Reply With Quote