Old 05-02-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
knitfan
Ribbing the Cuff

incorrect cast-on?
I have been knitting since the '70's off and on. Really started knitting alot the last few years. I have been reading lots of knitting books and so far, I do not ever see the type of cast on that I was taught. I think maybe, I was taught an incorrect method, but somehow it works fine. Most of the methods seem to tell you to start casting on near the ball, after assessing how much yarn you need to cast on and then make your slip knot. I measure 6 inches from the beginning of the yarn, make a slip knot and THEN cast on from there. I never worry about not guessing at pulling out enough for cast on and I don't seem to have any issues with the edge or anything. Am I the only person that does this??
knitfan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
crocee
Knitting the Flap

There really is no right or wrong way. As long as it works its not incorrect.
crocee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:57 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
I prefer long tail, but there is no right or wrong way. It's what works for you.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
How do you cast on? Do you just throw some loops on the needle, or do you knit the stitches on some way? The backward loop cast on (throwing some loops on, also known as single cast on) is not incorrect, but most people have trouble with it getting loopy on them, but I think some people use it with good results. I've seen one book that taught it as the way to cast on. Knitted on cast-ons are fine too.

I suppose that anything that gets some stitches going and looks acceptable to you is fine way to cast-on even if you don't find it in a book somewhere.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
knitfan
Ribbing the Cuff

I think I actually use the thumb method or something similar, as my stitches are very uniform looking and are on snuggly. In fact sometimes I have trouble working the first row because they are too tight.
knitfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You could experiment with some other COs and see which you prefer. Some are better in some circumstances, but in general any way you can get the yarn around the needle works.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
of troy
Turning the Heel

There are no wrong cast ons!

there are lots of different cast ons.

and there is nothing wrong with using the same cast on for everything.

(I don't! but that's me!)

there are at least 40 ways to cast on.. and it sounds like you use the simple cast on.. and if you are happy with it.. keep on doing it!

if you want to learn other cast ones.. there are video's here, and a gazzilion more on YouTube.

Cast ons are (often) just a persnickity detail... but sometimes a special cast on makes all the difference.

and if you only know 1 cast on, you might find yourself avoiding patterns that call for a different cast on (a crochet cast on, a provisional cast on, a tubular cast on, Judy's magic cast on, or a turkish cast on (for toe up socks))

I know 40 cast ons.. but still use long tail (or a variation of long tail) about 40 to 50% of the time.. for me, long tail is my go to cast on.
YOU can learn other cast ons.. but stick to your basic/favorite for most things you knit.
knitfan (05-04-2009)
Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by of troy View Post
There are no wrong cast ons!

there are lots of different cast ons.

and there is nothing wrong with using the same cast on for everything.

(I don't! but that's me!)

there are at least 40 ways to cast on.. and it sounds like you use the simple cast on.. and if you are happy with it.. keep on doing it!

if you want to learn other cast ones.. there are video's here, and a gazzilion more on YouTube.

Cast ons are (often) just a persnickity detail... but sometimes a special cast on makes all the difference.

and if you only know 1 cast on, you might find yourself avoiding patterns that call for a different cast on (a crochet cast on, a provisional cast on, a tubular cast on, Judy's magic cast on, or a turkish cast on (for toe up socks))

I know 40 cast ons.. but still use long tail (or a variation of long tail) about 40 to 50% of the time.. for me, long tail is my go to cast on.
YOU can learn other cast ons.. but stick to your basic/favorite for most things you knit.
She's very modest too, SHE has a wonderful video for a beautiful cast on.

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote