Old 05-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Bauerbach
Casting On

knitting an afghan with 2 strands? cast both on?
hey, have to excuse me, I have almost no experience knitting, but Ive bitten off alot here I think...

just stuck on 1 little minor detail.

I am knitting a baby afgan blanket. right up front it talks about "Entire afghan is worked holding 2 strands of yard together".

but then the first instruction is "With smaller size needle and white, cast on 141 sts"

so which is it? do I cast on with both threads or not?

the next instructions are just "rows 1-7: knit across" so is this still just white? in looking at the photo, I do not see any pink in the skirt...

so if I do not use the pink for all this, how do I introduce it? the next instruction is "K9, work Cable, (K5, Work cable) across to last 9 STS, K9"

sure... I can figure that out. but still no mention of the pink. On row 10 they fianlly say Drop White, slip 4, with pink K5.

so where did the pink come in? seems like white and pink were there for row 10, but never said when to start.
Bauerbach is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
Please link to the pattern when asking questions if you can. It helps us to help you.

It sounds like you cast on with one color then start knitting with both..but I'm not positive.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Bauerbach
Casting On

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Please link to the pattern when asking questions if you can. It helps us to help you.

It sounds like you cast on with one color then start knitting with both..but I'm not positive.
the pattern is from a book that I purchased at the store :(

this is I presume... frowned upon? but here is a picture of the specific pattern. It is the baby cables pattern. I hope this isnt breaking rules, cant show the pattern any other way.

their picture of it, the skirt doesnt look like it has any pink in the first 7 rows to me...

Last edited by Jan in CA : 05-03-2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Deleted pattern
Old 05-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

You're right, we can't post entire patterns here. The photo helps a lot though. Strange that the pattern is so vague.

Anyway from the photo you do cast on with only white and then knit for several rows. To introduce a new color you just start knitting with it. You can weave in the ends later.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 05-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
Bauerbach
Casting On

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
You're right, we can't post entire patterns here. The photo helps a lot though. Strange that the pattern is so vague.

Anyway from the photo you do cast on with only white and then knit for several rows. To introduce a new color you just start knitting with it. You can weave in the ends later.
no problem, appreciate the tip though, Ill try that, just start alternating to pink when it comes up and see how it progresses.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think you use 2 strands of white to CO, then switch to 2 strands of the pink and use them alternately. Just because there's 2 colors and the instructions say to use 2 strands doesn't always mean they you use both strands together.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
I think you use 2 strands of white to CO, then switch to 2 strands of the pink and use them alternately. Just because there's 2 colors and the instructions say to use 2 strands doesn't always mean they you use both strands together.
Good point, I was wondering about that, too. That pattern is pretty vague and assumes knowledge new knitters may not have.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~