Old 05-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
sukigirl74
Casting On

problems understanding chart
I want to make this pincushion and I have a couple of questions about using the chart.
When I was in beginnerís class I was told to read the chart as follows.. odd rows from the right /even from the left. We were also told that the same symbol meant different things depending on whether it was in an odd or even row. Iím wondering if this is true for all non-circular charts?

Also, if Iím reading the chart right, you sometimes make a yarn over as the last stitch. Is there a special way to do this because it seems to just unravel when I turn sides and try to purl or knit into that last yarn over.
Thanks so much I really appreciate any help!
sukigirl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sukigirl74 For This Useful Post:
arouraordiz (11-08-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
We were also told that the same symbol meant different things depending on whether it was in an odd or even row. I’m wondering if this is true for all non-circular charts?
It depends on the chart; for this one there's no symbol that means k on RS/p on WS for instance. Just follow this as written. And since you're knitting in the round, you read ALL rows from right to left. You do know this is knit in the round, not rows...?

Quote:
make a yarn over as the last stitch. Is there a special way to do this because it seems to just unravel when I turn sides and try to purl or knit into that last yarn over.
I see the YOs as the first stitch in the round - see above.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
sukigirl74 (05-03-2009)
Old 05-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
sukigirl74
Casting On

Thank you....I got turned around because I decided to first practice the chart (one repeat only) using 2 needles. So that is why I messed up and did it as if it was back and forth. Don't know why I messed up the second part.
Thank you for putting me on the right track!
sukigirl74 is offline   Reply With Quote