Old 05-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
hookedonknitting
1st Leg of the Journey

What to do...
So I am looking for a new project. I want to use my round needles- maybe my 29" ones that I bought by accident ( wrong size ) . I went looking online for inspiration and was getting into it. I was thinking maybe a hat that I could felt, when all of a sudden one of the websites turned out to be a virus infector. So I had to do an emergency shutdown. Now everything is fine but I am gunshy about looking online for ideas. I am a beginner that is up for a challenge. I was also thinking about doing a felted rug- I have some pretty wool to use. I do find it a little overwhelming to narrow down the possibilities and would love some help!
hookedonknitting is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
pinktoque
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via ICQ to pinktoque Send a message via AIM to pinktoque Send a message via MSN to pinktoque Send a message via Yahoo to pinktoque
If you want to search loads (and I do mean LOADS) of free (and also not-free) patterns for knitting (and crochet) -- you need to become a member of Ravelry

http://www.ravelry.com

It is an online community for knitters and crocheters. The patterns section is absolutely amazing, and easy to search. For example, if you knew what you wanted to make (like a rug), you could search for rugs. Then you could filter that search to narrow down the results even more -- say, using the particular type yarn you have. OR you could start a search based on the type of yarn you have and how much of it you have to see what kinds of things you could make from it. The site is virus free, and while Rav does link to free patterns on peoples' blogs off-site, they are legitimate links and legitimate sites that they are linking to, so I'd not worry about getting a virus that way. Go check it out and sign up!

ETA: I'd also recommend installing a good anti-virus software -- not that I'm worried personally about Ravelry, but just in general it's a good idea. You never know!

http://craftblog.pinktoque.com
I knit under my desk at work.

KER+ Exp+ SPM->+ KP++@ Bam+(+) Wool+(+) Cot+(+) Syn+(+) Stash(+) Scale+ Fin-> Ent? FI-> Int? Tex-> Lace-> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN+ ML+ Swatch- KIP++ Blog+++ FO+ WIP(+) GaugeW++ ALTCr++Sw+(+)

Last edited by pinktoque : 05-04-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: anti-virus info
pinktoque is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinktoque For This Useful Post:
hookedonknitting (05-04-2009)
Old 05-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
hookedonknitting
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks!
I didn't know that it did that much...I just wish it wasn't a two day wait list!! I signed up though....I also say the post about bath mats..and I happened to need a new one...so i think this will be my next project....Now I just have to learn the bobble stitch...get some yarn and a pattern and we're in business!!
hookedonknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
swcheng15
Ribbing the Cuff

You can also look up Lionbrand.com. Their website has loads of free patterns too. But Ravelry is very very cool.

Sab
Check out my blog at www.xanga.com/swcheng15

swcheng15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
pinktoque
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via ICQ to pinktoque Send a message via AIM to pinktoque Send a message via MSN to pinktoque Send a message via Yahoo to pinktoque
Originally Posted by swcheng15 View Post
You can also look up Lionbrand.com. Their website has loads of free patterns too. But Ravelry is very very cool.

mmmm yes, I love the LionBrand.com site, too. It also requires a free membership (no wait, though!) to browse the pattern finder, and it's excellent.

@hookedonknitting you'll LOVE Ravelry... trust me, the wait will be worth it! (and tends to be less of a wait than they say)

http://craftblog.pinktoque.com
I knit under my desk at work.

KER+ Exp+ SPM->+ KP++@ Bam+(+) Wool+(+) Cot+(+) Syn+(+) Stash(+) Scale+ Fin-> Ent? FI-> Int? Tex-> Lace-> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN+ ML+ Swatch- KIP++ Blog+++ FO+ WIP(+) GaugeW++ ALTCr++Sw+(+)
pinktoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

A collection of knitting patterns at

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php

(most are free)

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Heh, when I signed up, it was a 10 day wait, and in the early days, something like 2 months. A day or 2 isn't so bad....

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
cresmoon
1st Leg of the Journey

Here's a pattern I was thinking of trying myself, once I can get my purling issues worked out:

http://www.dailyknitter.com/susan.html

There are other patterns there, too. Also try www.knittingpatterncentral.com and the Joann's website pattern finder www.joann.com.
cresmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #9
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Heh, when I signed up, it was a 10 day wait, and in the early days, something like 2 months. A day or 2 isn't so bad....
Wow! 2 months! I only had to wait a day. Not sure it was even a full 24 hr. day. Definitely worth the wait.

I also use all the sites already mentioned. Here's couple more that I haven't had any problems with.
The Daily Knitter and Free Patterns.com(you will need to join).

Lieuvena
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Also check out knitty.com and elann.com

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote