View Poll Results: Which is harder: knitting or crocheting?
knitting - I can't do a simple knit Y.Y 0 0%
knitting - I can't do cabling nor double sided knit Y.Y 4 8.70%
crocheting - I can't do a simple chain Y.Y 6 13.04%
crocheting - I can't do a shell nor a popcorn crochet Y.Y 11 23.91%
all of the above 1 2.17%
none of the above 26 56.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2009, 05:28 AM   #1
SweetHina
Casting On

Which is harder: knitting or crocheting?
Very little of you know me, finishing my first project of the Death Note scarf:

My 2nd project is a scarf like this, however its in red & cream, double-sided, a cat logo on each end & my co-worker's name in the middle with cabling lengthwise along each side - is being put on hold.

Now I've wondered about this while I'm doing a 3rd project, which is knitting a baby elephant (found it online) for my mom on mother's day. As I'm doing this, it says to crochet the ears, so I thought "ok, how hard can this be." I was wrong , its COMPLETELY hard, I couldn't understand what the instructions was trying to tell me, even after watching video, after video, after video of doing these steps, I still couldn't get it right. So basically I'm giving up on the instructions and do it myself in my own way like how I've done my previous projects.

So as a beginner knitter & a WAY below beginner on crocheting , which is harder for you?
Personally its crocheting, knitting is so much easier , even though I can't get the tension right so some loops would be tight, others loose n.n;;

Philip: "Yes, it is. It's actually a game that requires even greater precision & planning. A game of power. Manipulations of emotions to control the mind... That's the game."

Last edited by SweetHina : 05-06-2009 at 06:01 AM. Reason: misspelled
SweetHina is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
Elfteayarns
Casting On

I can do both about the same.
Elfteayarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
dreamingintx
Ribbing the Cuff

I voted crochet. I've been trying for years and my simple projects still look awful!!
dreamingintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
Meck63
Casting On

SweetHina,
I couldn't get crochet to save my life! Finally, I broke down and bought Crocheting for Dummies. I'm not fond of the title, but it taught me how to crochet. The pictures are step by step -- extremely helpful. Hope it helps.
Meck63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I learned crochet cause I realized I closed a lot of doors in knitting, not being able to crochet...

So I am slowly learning the basics as I go along...learning a new stitch everytime a knitting project calls for it...

I wouldn't say crochet is hard for me per say...but I would say that I don't know it anywhere near as well as I know knitting!

But then...I have had really good crocheters come up to me and say "I don't know how you do that...with the two needles...it looks so complicated to me.."

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I used to crochet quite a bit, and learned it after I learned knitting, though not too much after. I don't recall it being hard to learn, but maybe I had a book with good pictures to learn from.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
TrikkeAddict
1st Leg of the Journey

I can do both and find they are both easy - of course, it takes practice, like anything else. I learned in the '60s and even though I didn't knit for over 25 years found it very easy when I started again last year. The same with crochet - I didn't do it for over 10 years but had no problem doing it again in the past year.

Practice, practice, practice!!!

OTN - afghan for DH (undid it for the 3rd time and started another pattern), baby sweater, hooded sweater jacket for me!!
TrikkeAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
I think it depends on the person ... and which technique they learned first. I started crocheting as a very young child and it took me FOREVER to get the hang of knitting. Now, while I'm not proficient at either, I can do both relatively easy.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #9
Mike
Working the Gusset

Knitting is harder.
Crochet has a hook and there's only one. How much easier can it get?

But I voted none of the above because what you listed aren't that difficult. Getting the yarn to stay on the needle for some increases or decreases is what is difficult.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
cftwo
Working the Gusset

Neither. They're different. If anything knitting is harder because you're juggling at least one more needle, but both use both hands and a string, so I just find it a matter of good small motor skills.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote