View Poll Results: Which is harder: knitting or crocheting?
knitting - I can't do a simple knit Y.Y 0 0%
knitting - I can't do cabling nor double sided knit Y.Y 4 8.70%
crocheting - I can't do a simple chain Y.Y 6 13.04%
crocheting - I can't do a shell nor a popcorn crochet Y.Y 11 23.91%
all of the above 1 2.17%
none of the above 26 56.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #11
AH1OZ
Knitting the Flap

i voted crochet since i just started to teach myself to crochet...

i can do basic sts but havent tried anything complicated yet

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
None of the above. You can't just say one is harder than the other because each person is different. Some find crochet harder, some knitting.

In crochet you only have one hook, BUT there are many stitches to learn.

In knitting there are two needles, BUT there are really only two stitches, everything else is a combination of them.

I crocheted long before I knit, but now I only knit except for the occasional edging on my knitting. I prefer the look of knitting now.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #13
pinktoque
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via ICQ to pinktoque Send a message via AIM to pinktoque Send a message via MSN to pinktoque Send a message via Yahoo to pinktoque
I had always heard that you're supposed to learn crochet first and knitting second because "crochet is easier and faster, knitting is harder and slower." However, I learned knitting first and it wasn't until 2 years later I taught myself crochet. I taught myself crochet from YouTube videos and while I love crochet and can do just about anything with it now, I found it very difficult to get going with in the beginning.

I look at it this way: with crochet there is a seemingly infinite number of possible "holes" you can poke your crochet hook through, so it's easy to mess up or poke through the wrong hole. With knitting that's not possible as you have a set number of loops/stitches on a needle at once and you always know where to put your needle for the next stitch. Where I kept getting hung up in crochet was when I was working in the round -- sometimes it was hard to tell (and it took me a long time to get used to) where the next stitch was and not accidentally poke through the same stitch I was currently on. I ended up increasing by accident A LOT.

These days I find both fairly similar as far as my abilities. I feel I can crochet faster than I can knit, though, but that may be because it's been awhile since I've knit and I've been doing crochet almost exclusively in the past year. Now that I'm back to focusing on knitting again I feel it all coming back to me and my speed increasing with every FO. Just like learning crochet.

This could also be the difference -- my MIL taught me in person how to cast on and do the basic knit stitch (the rest I taught myself on KnittingHelp videos) and I learned crochet entirely by YouTube video demonstrations. Maybe had someone shown me crochet in person that would've changed things?

http://craftblog.pinktoque.com
I knit under my desk at work.

KER+ Exp+ SPM->+ KP++@ Bam+(+) Wool+(+) Cot+(+) Syn+(+) Stash(+) Scale+ Fin-> Ent? FI-> Int? Tex-> Lace-> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN+ ML+ Swatch- KIP++ Blog+++ FO+ WIP(+) GaugeW++ ALTCr++Sw+(+)
pinktoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #14
LadyFirelyght
Knitting the Flap

Was the elephant pattern called Elefante? If so, I somehow managed to actually crochet the ears but they just didn't look good! So on Ravelry, I looked at other projects, found some with knitted ears and someone had posted directions for them.

To answer your question: I can't crochet worth a darn :P
Old 05-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
swcheng15
Ribbing the Cuff

Like Jan, I actually like the look of knitted things now, but I would say both are about the same for me. I'm not proficient in either, but my grandmother taught me both waaay back when. So when I picked it up again, I did have to look online to refresh my memory (as I have to do with new stitches). But I feel ok about both. However, I do believe crocheting larger items (like blankets) tend to be faster.

Sab
Check out my blog at www.xanga.com/swcheng15

swcheng15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #16
Spokaloo
1st Leg of the Journey

I always looked at knitting and crocheting as pretty much the same as far as learning difficulties. I taught myself to do both from books in my early teens. The way I look at it, you need to learn a few basics in both crafts -- knit and purl vs. chain, single and double crochet -- and after that you're just combining or modifying these basic sts to make different patterns in your fabric. Crocheting gives you more immediate results, but tends to be a little stiffer, thicker. Knitting is slower, but you get a softer fabric with more drape, easier to wear.
Spokaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #17
linknit41
1st Leg of the Journey

I find crochet harder, --as one of the other respondents said,there are so many holes to poke the hook through!! It is faster, but for me that just means making more mistakes more quickly. For example, if i tried to make a rectangular baby blanket , it either grew narrower or wider as i went along. Also, prefer the texture of knitting, as it is usually drapier, not so stiff a fabric--plus, i read that knitting takes less yarn than crocheting. just my 2 cents' worth. linknit41
linknit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #18
pinktoque
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via ICQ to pinktoque Send a message via AIM to pinktoque Send a message via MSN to pinktoque Send a message via Yahoo to pinktoque
Originally Posted by linknit41 View Post
plus, i read that knitting takes less yarn than crocheting. just my 2 cents' worth. linknit41
This is totally true! And a good point I'd forgotten. When I was crocheting a handle for a purse (it was thin and long, nothing big and major), I was constantly (and I mean constantly) pulling out more and more yarn for use. When I crochet it feels like I am going through it like crazy. It was a nice change when I switched back to knitting recently. I'm knitting something now about the same width as that crochet handle, in star stitch, and the difference between how much yarn I have to pull out is astounding. I didn't realize how much more yarn I use during crochet vs. knitting until recently. It feels like a huuuuuuuuge difference, though!

http://craftblog.pinktoque.com
I knit under my desk at work.

KER+ Exp+ SPM->+ KP++@ Bam+(+) Wool+(+) Cot+(+) Syn+(+) Stash(+) Scale+ Fin-> Ent? FI-> Int? Tex-> Lace-> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN+ ML+ Swatch- KIP++ Blog+++ FO+ WIP(+) GaugeW++ ALTCr++Sw+(+)
pinktoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #19
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

For me, neither one is harder than the other. I just prefer crochet over knitting. But I do both.

And, yes, crochet takes about 1/3 more yarn than knitting. On average, of course. :D

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #20
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

I don't find one harder than the other. They are just different. I learned both as a child. I watched my Mother and then she let me try. Both take practice and I am still learning new things about both. So I voted "none of the above".