View Poll Results: Do you knit under your desk at work or school?
Yes, sneakily 6 12.50%
Yes, not sneakily (i.e. my boss/teachers know) 15 31.25%
No. 20 41.67%
No, but now I will! 1 2.08%
No, my boss/teacher doesn't let me 6 12.50%
I don't knit under my desk, but I crochet under it! 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2009, 11:08 PM   #11
Dimpledapple
Turning the Heel

I read the title of this post and imagined you sitting/hiding under your desk while knitting away furiously I knit openly at work because my work environment is pretty lax to begin with, but also because several of my co-workers are fellow knitters. Pretty cool, I think!
Dimpledapple is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:24 PM   #12
cristina61
Knitting the Flap

I do sometimes knit at work, and I never have to worry about getting in trouble with my boss . . . because I'm self employed!

It's not always possible, though. My job is transcribing state hearings, so most of the time my hands are too busy typing to knit. The "good" news is that once I've finished typing my hearings I need to proofread, which means going back and listening to them again while re-reading what I've typed. That's when I can manage to squeeze some knitting in, as long as it's nothing too complicated.

It does slow down my proofreading a little bit, but I'll often do it unless I'm running behind schedule. It makes the tedious proofreading process much more enjoyable.

cristina61 on

** My poor neglected blog is here

RIP Gabby (9/12/2009) -- I miss you SO much. We'll never forget what a sweet girl you were!

cristina61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:32 AM   #13
LBECK
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to LBECK
I only knit on my lunch or break. I work in a billing office and I do not have time to do anything with my hands but use a key board.

OTN: Several WIPs
Crocheting baby items for a gift shop.

I am yarnin4aproj on Ravelry.

" May every stitch you knit bring you a little closer to that calm, clear space in the center of your soul. --- Earth Heart Designs"
LBECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #14
hartleystudio
Knitting the Flap

Who knew there were so many of us out there!!! My job won't let me knit either, I'm a stay at home mom and a goldsmith! No idle hands there! BUT,...I attend a bible study once a week with a LOOOONNNGGG lecture. I love it but if I'm not knitting while the teacher is lecturing I fall asleep! I recall what she is saying much better if I'm knitting (as opposed to sleeping!!). I try to be discreet because I don't want to distract the others who are furiously note taking. In fact, I'll be sad when my study ends for the summer, not just because I like the study but because I loose valuable knitting time!! Hahaha!!

I'm on Etsy when I'm not knitting...

http://www.hartleystudio.etsy.com

I'm Hartleystudio on Ravelry too!!
hartleystudio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hartleystudio For This Useful Post:
MoniDew (05-09-2009)
Old 05-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #15
margz3
Working the Gusset

Once in a while I sneak in a row or two.....but I am frequently on this site, if not actually knitting

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #16
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I can't knit at work -- although I come to KH sometimes when I'm waiting on my computer -- but I used to cross-stitch when I was in high school. I always finished my tests early and would cross-stitch for the rest of the hour.

In college, you can leave as soon as you're done, so it wasn't a habit I carried with me.

I used to crochet at family gatherings -- when everyone is just sitting around talking -- because I like to keep my hands busy. Then I had kids and now I don't just sit at family gatherings.
sakura-panda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #17
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

I only knit during my lunch break and not all the time. Definitely did while doing Christmas knitting. My boss would come in and just giggle at me. I think he thinks knitting is for only older ladies. I told him that the crazy aunt who makes socks and slippers for everyone had to start somewhere! Here I am! But, I do feel a little weird knitting at work. Besides, if it's a tricky pattern I'm working on it makes me crazy to have to stop and start while answering the phone or doing something else. This is supposed to be a relaxing hobby, no?

However, that being said, if I don't knit I'll usually try to watch videos on knitting techniques that I want to try. Even watching knitting relaxes me. Is that weird?
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #18
JasminJaquine
Casting On

I don't knit under the desk or anything sneaky, but I usually keep a small project at work to fiddle with on my lunch hour. My boss giggles at me too when she sees me, and usually comes out to our little couch area and sits and chats with me. Outside of that, work is a bit too busy for knitting.
Faults: I Ramble....a lot!
OTN: Girl Friday Cardigan
Last FO's: Sunny Citron Shawl, Andrea's Shawl
JasminJaquine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #19
pinktoque
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via ICQ to pinktoque Send a message via AIM to pinktoque Send a message via MSN to pinktoque Send a message via Yahoo to pinktoque
Originally Posted by Sunshine's Mom View Post
However, that being said, if I don't knit I'll usually try to watch videos on knitting techniques that I want to try. Even watching knitting relaxes me. Is that weird?
Not weird at all!

If I can't be knitting, at least watching knitting technique videos gets me a little bit closer to the real thing, because it's usually techniques that I am trying to learn or understand better myself.

I don't get to knit under my desk everyday (I spend too much time forum reading or blogging about knitting, or ... actual work every now and then!) but when I do it really relaxes me

http://craftblog.pinktoque.com
I knit under my desk at work.

KER+ Exp+ SPM->+ KP++@ Bam+(+) Wool+(+) Cot+(+) Syn+(+) Stash(+) Scale+ Fin-> Ent? FI-> Int? Tex-> Lace-> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN+ ML+ Swatch- KIP++ Blog+++ FO+ WIP(+) GaugeW++ ALTCr++Sw+(+)
pinktoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #20
cftwo
Working the Gusset

I knit publically at work - no sneaking needed. It's a good way to mull over a pargraph I'm trying to write, and since I try to limit work knitting to mindless stuff like dishclothes, I can also read while I knit.

When my boss first "caught" me knitting, she commented that she used to work at a catholic high school and all the nuns brought their handwork to meetings. Those were the most productive meetings she had ever been in.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote