View Poll Results: Do you knit under your desk at work or school?
Yes, sneakily 6 12.50%
Yes, not sneakily (i.e. my boss/teachers know) 15 31.25%
No. 20 41.67%
No, but now I will! 1 2.08%
No, my boss/teacher doesn't let me 6 12.50%
I don't knit under my desk, but I crochet under it! 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #21
ready2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Location: Like Alice, I've fallen down the rabbit hole and landed in the midwest and asking WHY?!
I'm able to knit out in the open at work. I supervise study halls at our local high school. It's a thankless job (that I love! You can keep your little kids- give me a teenager any day!) I come in contact with over 300 students in the course of the day. I get them whipped into shape at the beginning of the semester and then it's all good- They study or sleep, I knit.
To tell the truth many of them are interested and fascinated by the process. They're always asking questions about my projects when they come up to my desk. Currently I'm furiously kntting a baby blanket for my sister who is due at the end of this month. They're interested in seeing my progess.
My boss has walked by room and just smiled. As long as the kids are quiet and studying he's happy.
ready2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ready2knit For This Useful Post:
MoniDew (05-09-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-10-2009, 05:11 AM   #22
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

Not at all. I'm an art teacher grades K-5th. I teach 700 children per week and each art session is only 40 minutes long. I am constantly walking around teaching/ helping and/or monitoring the students when they are in art class.

I have 5 minutes between classes.. to get ready for the next class.. (put projects up/ get new supplies out/etc.) which I never have.. because:

THE leaving teacher is always late arriving to pick up her/his class or the arriving teacher is always arriving early. Sigh.. and to go to the bathroom? I have to go all the way down the hallway.. only possible to do if the class prior arrives on time and the next class scheduled doesn't arrive too early.. and I teach 3 hours before I do have an official break... of 15 minutes (it's part of my lunch time) then I go do a DAILY OUTSIDE RECESS duty every day.. for 20 minutes.. then, I return for the rest of my lunch period...

*I've thought about walking around knitting during my lunch time recess duty.. but, I know that someone (who doesn't have to do this duty) would complain that I wasn't monitoring appropriately.. know what I mean?

So, I do always take something with me.. for other times of 'waiting'.. if we have meetings after school- I can manage to knit about 5-7 minutes while waiting for everyone to arrive and the meeting to start. I also take something simple with me.. because you just never know.. when you'll be waiting while doing errands.. (standing in line/etc.)

So, 'yes' I do take knitting to work w/ me.. but, I don't knit on the clock so to speak.
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #23
AH1OZ
Knitting the Flap

if i had a desk to knit under i would

but right now i am a stay at home mom... and when i am working i am a hairstylist - so no desk
Old 05-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #24
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

During breaks or at lunch, Yes.
During my work day, it sits on top of my desk so everyone knows I'm working and not knitting.

During my break or lunch times I may work on my knitting, crochet, or visit the KH forum.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #25
Vertigo1414
Knitting the Flap

I don't have a desk, i basically walk around counting things all day in a grocery store. i do have a half hour commute that i try to get things done on though.
Northeast Oddball Baby Blankets
Oddball Pet Snuggles

Vertigo's Knits-My blog
Vertigo1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #26
yiayiabryant
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to yiayiabryant
Since I'm a church secretary and the moderator of the prayer shawl ministry I always have some knitting with me. During staff meetings I work on a prayer shawl. I knit at lunch and at council meetings between taking notes for the minutes. No one minds since this ministry has envolved members that normally don't participate in anything. It's good to have knitting with me on days like today when the computers were down most of the afternoon.
yiayiabryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #27
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Puddinpop
I would love to do that but, My desk wraps around the windows and my back is facing my office door. It is kind of hard to hide it, if someone came in my office. I do have it with me for my lunch breaks. I too, think about all the time I wasted when I was young that could have been used to knit or sew.
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #28
Koehnae
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Koehnae Send a message via Yahoo to Koehnae
I don't currently knit under (or over) my desk at work. I work as a fitting room attendant in a retail store and some days it gets dreadfully dull. It sure would make the day go faster! I have several coworkers that have approached the manager on my behalf regarding allowing me to knit when it's slow. Everyone I work with is fascinated by my knitting and will actually stop by the break room just to see what I'm working on that day.

Koehnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #29
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Okay, I keep seeing this subject line pop up and it makes me smile every time. I'm picture you all physically sitting/squating under your desks knitting, eyes darting everywhere watching for the boss.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #30
rosefields
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Dimpledapple View Post
I read the title of this post and imagined you sitting/hiding under your desk while knitting away furiously
Me Too! I was thinking..."she must have a pretty big desk to knit under it AND the carpet must be pretty soft!"
rosefields is offline   Reply With Quote