Old 05-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
catcook
Ribbing the Cuff

understanding instructions
I'm making my first garment and I'm not sure I understand the instructions, what better place to come than all you wonderful knitters. Ok so this is what it says
Shape shoulders and neck

(RS) Bind off 9 sts at beginning of next 2 rows, then 9 sts at beginning of next 4 rows for shoulders

the stitch is rs row knit, the next row is purl with pattern. so do I bind off just on the right side rows or 9 sts, on the right side row and 9 sts on the purl row?

Does that make sense? I'm probably over thinking this but this has me totally bum fuzzled. Thank YOU
catcook is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
You bind off at the beginning of each row, knit or purl. You can't bind off at the end of a row, so you always do it at the beginning.

In other words, bind off on the knit side, finish the row. Then bind off on the purl side and finish the row.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
catcook (05-06-2009)
Old 05-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
catcook
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you so much. I didn't know you couldn't bind off at the end of a row. I've never tried and wondered why they didn't keep the binding off on the same row. Anyway thank you sometimes my brain goes on vacation and leaves me sitting staring at my knitting......
catcook is offline   Reply With Quote