Old 05-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
crocee
Knitting the Flap

Yarn/thread question/pics added post 9
Today at the thrift shop I picked up 2 cones of what looks like knitting machine wool yarn/thread. Can I use this for hand knitting socks or other light weight items? It feels like it might be fingerling weight. I will post a picture as soon as I can. For a $1.50 a cone I didn't think I could go wrong even if I couldn't use it. Its in a variegated green color and is on wood and possibly metal cones. I also picked up a bunch of sweaters to unravel for the wool yarn for a buck a piece.

Last edited by crocee : 05-08-2009 at 12:03 PM.
crocee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, you could use coned yarn, WEBS even sells it. It's usually a light fingering (no l) weight or heavy lace and could be used for a lot of things.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

cones
I was at Webs recently and they have beautiful yarns. The coned material can be used for sweaters and if you crochet it can be used for that also. I do both and was looking for some green rayon/cotton yarn on a cone but couldn't match my yarn I wanted to work it with. Their warehouse yarns are gorgeous. Don't have very much for notions but lots of knitting needles, good selection of patterns and LOTS of yarn in the store and warehouse area. I spent a lot of time in the warehouse. I was there with a bunch of ladies from a needlecraft guild and one who goes to my LYS knitting night. Only four of us from the knitting group went and they has as fun oohing and ahhing as I did!!!!
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
crocee
Knitting the Flap

The cone on this thread/yarn is weird and I can't find anything about it. The cone is wood on the top and bottom and has scalloped edges. The bottom of the cone had a slit/groove cut into it across the base. The bottom end also has a groove about 3/8 of an inch up and all the way around it. It almost looks like some sort of bobbin. I can't see the whole thing since there is yarn covering it. The center hole in the cone is approximately 1". Does anyone know what type of cone this is? The inside portion seems to be made of metal or very hard plastic. I don't see/feel any type of cardboard/paper at all.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

It likely is a bobbin; coned yarn is usually used for machine knitting, but can be used for hand knitting as well. Sometimes they re-cone yarn so if there's anything written on the inside of it, it may or may not pertain to the yarn that's wrapped around the outside.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
crocee
Knitting the Flap

I will try to get a picture of it so maybe someone can explain exactly what it is. IF it is a bobbin, what kind of bobbin is it?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #7
margz3
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by mathwizard View Post
I was at Webs recently and they have beautiful yarns. The coned material can be used for sweaters and if you crochet it can be used for that also. I do both and was looking for some green rayon/cotton yarn on a cone but couldn't match my yarn I wanted to work it with. Their warehouse yarns are gorgeous. Don't have very much for notions but lots of knitting needles, good selection of patterns and LOTS of yarn in the store and warehouse area. I spent a lot of time in the warehouse. I was there with a bunch of ladies from a needlecraft guild and one who goes to my LYS knitting night. Only four of us from the knitting group went and they has as fun oohing and ahhing as I did!!!!
I SO want to take a road trip to Webs!! Your description just makes me want to go even more I have even mapquested the distance from work, to Webs to home.....ya know, stop in "on the way home"

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

For a knitting machine. Whether a home or commercial one, I'm not sure, haven't seen many.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
crocee
Knitting the Flap

I took a few pictures of the yarn and its bobbin/spool/cone. I also took measurements. The spool is 7" tall. top is 1 7/8" dia, bottom is 3 7/8" dia, there is a outer hole that is 1 5/8" dia with the inner hole for the shaft/pin that is 7/8" dia. I hope this along with the pictures will make it make sense.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
linknit41
1st Leg of the Journey

Uh,what it Webs ,WEBS.? haven't heard of it before---linknit41
linknit41 is offline   Reply With Quote