Old 05-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
knitfan
Ribbing the Cuff

slowness w/knitting
Does anyone deal with chronic pain issues that keep them from completing projects in a decent amount of time? I need a boost.
I have fibromyalgia and myofascial pain and can only knit about 15 minutes a day sometimes. I am expecting my first TWO grandbabies this summer and want so badly to have sweaters and caps for both but I knit so slowwwwwly. How does one keep from discouragement in trying to complete a project? I just keep telling myself that four or five rows a day is better than nothing, but man, I want to get things done!
knitfan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
blackroselycan
Casting On

I have a similar problem, what I do is I put a stitch marker that just slides in and out, like a half unfolded paper clip, in when I start, then when I'm done I can see what I've completed. It's encouraging because it helps make it obvious just how much you've gotten done.
blackroselycan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blackroselycan For This Useful Post:
knitfan (05-09-2009)
Old 05-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I'm currently working on a project that is taking for freaking ever to get through -- I'm used to motoring through projects, but this is the first one I've done that is taking such a long time due to the fineness of the yarn, the lacework involved, and just the sheer amount of other things that are calling on my time...so not the same reasons as you, but I definitely have been a bit frustrated by the slowness of pace.

But the other day I decided that the yarn, Handmaiden Sea Silk, is just so gorgeous and the pattern is so beautiful, that I can simply enjoy the process, slow though it may be. I try to concentrate on how beautiful the fiber is as it moves between my fingers, and I pause often to hold it to the light, and admire the yarn and the pattern often.

Basically a mind trick, but it seems to be working for now!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
knitfan (05-09-2009)
Old 05-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Zeldabows
Casting On

Knitfan,

I have fibro and carpal tunnel. Crafting shops sell hand supports that look like support hose for the hands. I have them for both of my hands and they make the hand more supported so I am able to knit longer.

Call yarn stores in your area and see if they carry them. They are worth every penny to me. I hope they help you as much as the help me.
Zeldabows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zeldabows For This Useful Post:
knitfan (05-09-2009)
Old 05-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

I have fibro also. But I knit continental-style, so it's not a huge motion to make a stitch. And when you knit continental, you can stick the LH needle between your legs and work only via the RH needle. Plus you can use either your right hand predominantly - or your left, depending on how those aches and pains dictate.

And I like having smaller, lighter-weight projects such as socks or scarves on hand as well as heavier sweaters and afghans and such. When I hurt, the lighter-weight ones are much easier to handle.

Hope this helps,
Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

slowness
I have arthritis in my hands and many years ago I hurt my right shoulder. I throw my knitting stitches and can't seem to get continental to work out for me. I was born with perfect gauge and with continental knitting it goes out the window. My shoulder bothers me and some days my hands do. So when I have pain I switch between knitting and crochet and it does take longer to finish but I do eventually get it done.
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
biztec
1st Leg of the Journey

I have fibro, too and am a continental knitter, which helps keep down the motion pain. I find crocheting hurts my hands more than knitting, so when I need to crochet, I switch back and forth between projects to keep my hands from flaring up. Smaller projects are also better. I did a crochet afghan all in single crochet and the weight of it was really painful!

I am Biztec on Ravelry

Southeast Oddball Baby Blanket Blogspot
biztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
knitfan
Ribbing the Cuff

I appreciate everyone's input. It is very interesting to find others that have fibro who also knit.
These are all very good suggestions. Thank you.
knitfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
I also have pain issues when knitting. Some days I can't knit at all. Occasionally, I have to stop knitting for a couple days in a row.

I am a slow knitter, so I'm picky about what I knit. I know it will take a long time. But, I enjoy every stitch. When the pain comes up, I'll take a break and rub my hands and arms. It helps to do arm stretches also.

On the days I'm not knitting, I use an ice pack on my aching joints, and it really helps.

I used to crochet, but had to put that aside completely. The twisting of the wrist with each stitch was just too much. I can't do continental knitting for the same reason. English knitting works best for me.

I've heard that Norwegian knitting is good for helping to avoid pain in knitting, but I haven't tried it yet.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
knitfan (05-12-2009)
Old 05-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

Those babies are going to be "babies" for a while yet. Make your projects a little bigger so they can grow into them. You don't have to have everything done by the time they arrive. And, the best part....they'll still love you anyway, Grammie, even if you haven't finished their hats and socks!
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshine's Mom For This Useful Post:
knitfan (05-12-2009)