Old 05-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
TrikkeAddict
1st Leg of the Journey

Victory Junction Camp Afghans - need yarn
I want to knit and crochet afghans for Victory Junction and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get primary colors in washable yarn to make the afghans. A pattern I found in Crochet Magazine uses Dark Horse LLC yarns, but I was wondering if anyone knows of another brand of yarn with primary colors (red, yellow, blue and green). There isn't a retail location near me that sells the Dark Horse yarn - I am going to try calling them to see if they will sell and ship the yarn directly to me.

Also, does anyone have patterns for afghans using 4 colors? Victory Junction doesn't care what pattern is used, they just have to be made with those 4 colors.

One more question - I use Peaches & Creme cotton yarn to make rugs and towels. Would cotton yarn be a good choice for an afghan too??

Thanks for any help.
Susan

OTN - afghan for DH (undid it for the 3rd time and started another pattern), baby sweater, hooded sweater jacket for me!!
TrikkeAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

I wouldn't use cotton for an afghan-- it's very heavy and the drape drags. But the bigger question is-- what gauge do they call for? If it's a standard worsted weight, then Plymouth's Encore (http://www.plymouthyarn.com/index.ph...lection=000005) would be perfect. If not, Red Heart makes a worsted weight acrylic (http://www.coatsandclark.com/Product...rt+Classic.htm -- there are 3 pages of colors) .
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,645 Times in 7,047 Posts
Knowing the gauge/weight of the yarn you need would help a lot. For charity items I think acrylic is good because it's generally sturdy and washable. That much cotton would be incredibly heavy.

Caron Simply Soft.. check the other lines they have too for colors.
http://www.caron.com/color_cards/cc_simplysoft.html
Red Heart SOFT..

Vanna's Choice
http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/yar...&pageLength=25

The Plymouth Encore suggested is a good one, too. They have dozens of colors.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
TrikkeAddict
1st Leg of the Journey

This is the info from the victory junction website about the afghans:

"Afghans - Each camper at Victory Junction takes home a hand-made afghan as a souvenir from camp.
The afghans should be knitted or crocheted with bright, cheerful colors! Our camper unit colors are blue, green, yellow and red and are great choices for afghans!
There are no specific design requirements, you can be as creative as you like!
The afghans should be 35-40 inches wide by 45-50 inches long."

No mention of any special weight yarn, but for me I think that worsted weight would be the best. The one pattern that I found uses worsted weight. It's the specific colors - blue, green, yellow and red - that had me stumped.

Rachel, the Plymouth Encore yarn looks perfect, thank you so much for the suggestion!!!

Jan, thank you also, for the suggestions - I think that the Caron Simply Soft would also be perfect!!!

Susan

OTN - afghan for DH (undid it for the 3rd time and started another pattern), baby sweater, hooded sweater jacket for me!!
TrikkeAddict is offline   Reply With Quote