Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
I call it Homeshun.

I've even stopped people in Michael's who were trying to buy it. One did and said that she loved it, one didn't buy it--at least while I was lurking.

There are so many, many better yarns out there. . .

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
TooCircular (05-13-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It isn't all that bad; you just have to know how to handle it. Loosely....

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
TooCircular (05-13-2009)
Old 05-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #13
yiayiabryant
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to yiayiabryant
Homespun Yarn
I use it for Prayer Shawls on #13 bamboo needles with loose tension. It does knit up soft and fluffy and since the prayer shawl pattern is knit 3 purl 3 I don't worry about the stitches showing. Everyone that has recieved one of the shawls has loved the soft warm hug.
yiayiabryant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yiayiabryant For This Useful Post:
TooCircular (05-13-2009)
Old 05-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #14
lynnruth
Casting On

I always use Lion Brand Homespun yarn when making prayer shawls for our church knitting group -- all the knitters in the group do. The feel of it did take a little getting used to -- the lumps and bumps - but it makes a very soft, light weight, warm shawl and the selection of colors is wonderful. We use size 13 needle and that seems to work well. However, on more than one occasion we have come across areas of the yarn where the little string has broken and the yarn just splays apart -- have to cut that area of yarn out and retie on the skein -- a Lion Brand quality control problem! The folks who crochet in our group can't stand the yarn and won't use it. So - pros and cons for homespun.
lynnruth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lynnruth For This Useful Post:
TooCircular (05-13-2009)
Old 05-13-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

I think it only works for people with a loose tension-- of which I am one. But my complaint about it is that the finished product tends to stretch a great deal, vertically. But I do like the softness and the colors and the way it knits up.
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imrachel For This Useful Post:
TooCircular (05-13-2009)
Old 05-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #16
TooCircular
Knitting the Flap

Wow you guys, thanks for all the responses! Ingrid~~ "homeshun" is hilarious. I'll try bigger needles and will loosen up the tension, but I know in my heart of hearts that I'm going to be struggling. We were all so impressed when one of the gals in my knitting group purchased 7 skeins for .99 cents apiece at Michael's. We each got a skein so we coud begin baby blanket squares. She said that we were going to LOVE the yarn (she's used it before.) My only hope is that the other ladies are strugging with it too. Actually, I'm PRAYING that they're struggling. I'm envisioning a huge bonfire with each of us tossing in a skein, then laughing wildly and, what the heck, howling and dancing too. Would roast marshmallows, but, darn those plasticky fumes.

Anyways, it's great that some have had success with it, but it is also good to know that I wasn't the only one having difficulty. I honestly will try with those suggestions.

Thanks again everyone!

Jan
TooCircular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:55 AM   #17
slytherati
Casting On

This is the yarn that I tried to learn how to knit on. No wonder I gave up my first project!
slytherati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slytherati For This Useful Post:
TooCircular (05-14-2009)
Old 05-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #18
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

I'll agree that it is a pain to knit with, but I made the Six Hour Throw with it (I think it used 4 strands together) on size 50 needles and gave it to my friend. Her whole family now fights over who gets to cuddle up with it. That's praise enough for me to make another. But, I will invest in size 50 circulars before I do.
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshine's Mom For This Useful Post:
TooCircular (05-14-2009)
Old 05-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #19
luvmykid28
Turning the Heel

THe only thing I'll ever make with HP
Originally Posted by Sunshine's Mom View Post
I'll agree that it is a pain to knit with, but I made the Six Hour Throw with it (I think it used 4 strands together) on size 50 needles and gave it to my friend. Her whole family now fights over who gets to cuddle up with it. That's praise enough for me to make another. But, I will invest in size 50 circulars before I do.
I've made the 6 Hour Throw, too. In fact, when I 1st started knitting, I bought a ton of Homespun. I was duped by the colors and softness. Hate is such a strong word, but I hated it until I found the 6 hour trow pattern. I made 1 for my daughter and we all fight over it while watching TV. I actually have enough of this stuff to make 3 more throws (remember that's 4 stands held together and each throw uses 8 skeins = 24 skeins, that I kept). I even gave away at least 8 skeins of it. I'm in the middle of my 2nd throw. The crazy thing is, that know I think about other colors I can use to make more throws (that is after I use up all that I have.) They will make great gifts and they really are pretty quick to knit up.

BTW, I highly recommend the Lion brand size 50 needles. I tried Boye and don't like them as much.

I have three passions:
1. My husband
2. My daughter
3. Knitting
Everything else can wait.
luvmykid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to luvmykid28 For This Useful Post:
TooCircular (05-14-2009)
Old 05-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #20
TooCircular
Knitting the Flap

I've never used Size 50 knitting needles. But, YIKES they look big!!
Also googled the 6-hour throw pattern:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60536.html

I don't know if I'll get brave enough to try it with "Homeshun". ~Maybe with different yarn. Ha

Jan
TooCircular is offline   Reply With Quote