Old 05-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Klabadie
Casting On

Help understanding a pattern statement
Hi, I'm a new knitter and have just started work on my teddy bear and am having the hardest time understanding what the following means:

Cont in garter st and inc 1st at each end of next row and 6 foll 6th rows. (36 sts)

Any ideas?
Klabadie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Keep knitting in garter stitch and increase at the beginning and end of the next row, and every 6th row after that 6 more times. That will bring you up to 36 sts.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Klabadie (05-13-2009)
Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

Garter stitch means to knit every row.

Did you maybe leave something out of this part? Or they made a typo in the directions?: "and inc 1st at each end of next row and 6 foll 6th rows. (36 sts)" I have a feeling that should read something like "6 more times, every 6th row following".

No matter which, you are going to increase 2 sts on the increase rows. There is a good video on that here, and my favorite increase is the M1L or M1F, because it's invisible. So on the increase rows, you will knit 1 st, then M1F, then knit to the end of the row but have 1 st left, then M1F again, and then knit the last st of that row. Be sure to make those increases at the ends of the rows, the way I wrote it out. If you do it somewhere else in the row, the shaping won't come out right.

They want you to do this every 6th row. So you'll have an increase row, and then just knit 5 rows plain, then another increase row, then 5 more rows plain, etc.

Here's how to figure out how many times they want you to do this-- because sometimes they will tell you what the increase row will look like, and then say do this 6 times, but sometimes they will tell you how to do the increase row and then say do it 6 MORE times. But you know you need to end up with 36 sts. So if you begin with 24 sts, you'll have 6 increase rows total (6 X 2 = 12). But if you start with 22 sts, then you'll do an increase row and then 6 MORE increase rows, which will be 7 increase rows (7 X 2 = 14).

Make sense?
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Klabadie
Casting On

Hi, I definetly get what you mean. It's not the greatest pattern in terms of understanding, as I have another question...another part of the pattern (this is for the ears)...for this I will just write out the whole thing:

Cast on 13 sts. K4 rows
Dec 1 st at each end of next row and 3 foll alt rows. (5sts). K 1 row.
Inc 1 st at each end of next row and 3 foll alt rows. (13 sts). K 4 rows.
Bind off.

I understand the knits, decreases, increases etc...but I don't understand what 3 foll alt rows mean. Does that mean increase 3 on every other row? To me that doesn't seem right. Especially based on my previous question about re: 6 foll 6th rows.

I hope this is making sense too
Old 05-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It means dec at each end of the next row and every other row 3 more times. So you dec 2 sts on each of 4 RS rows.

Then inc 1 st at each end of the next row and every other row 3 more times. 2 incs on each of the next 4 RS rows.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
Klabadie
Casting On

I"m so glad I found this forum!!! I thought for sure my teddy bear would never even get started. Thanks so much for everyones help! I'm sure I'll be back