Old 05-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Puddinpop
knitgal, I have looked at the bookstore but, they don't say if there is a lot of errors in the books. I'm a little concerned because, I would just think I was knitting them wrong, if there is errors.
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

You guys rock. I am going to look these up right now. I've made a couple of socks but, I would like to have a good book with some patterns, also.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #13
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by KnittingNat View Post
If I had some extra money right now, i'd go and get Cookie A.'s new book "Sock innovation" in a heartbeat. Check out the patterns on Ravelry, she's got such an unusual way of putting together a stitch pattern and a sock!
Oh I would too. I love Cookie A's patterns.
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I deleted the other sock book thread you started since it was a duplicate of this one.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Puddinpop (05-19-2009)
Old 05-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #15
klsherron
Casting On

Favorite Sock Book
I have a couple of sock books I like, but my favorite is the newest one which I just recently bought, "Sock Innovation" by Cookie A. It's published by Interweave Press, but I purchased it on Amazon for a lower price.
klsherron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to klsherron For This Useful Post:
Puddinpop (05-19-2009)
Old 05-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #16
abby001
Ribbing the Cuff

Favorite sock book
I love Sock Innovations for the fact that Cookie A. tells us how to make our own designs as well as includes patterns. I've ordered Wendy's newest book, Socks from the Toe Up, from Knit Picks so I can't comment on it yet.

I know most of the Sock Innovations patterns are lace patterns and I've read that Wendy's are mostly lace too, which bums me a little as I don't care for seeing skin through socks. I must be in the minority on this though as these gals are hot stuff in the sock knitting world. Well, with Cookie's design instructions and the various toe and heel techniques in Wendy's book I should be able to make my own hole-less socks!

I have More Sensational Socks and I have a question for those who recommend it. Is there a trick to using it? I've knit LOTS of socks--easily over 100 pair in the last 4 years--but I find the directions in this book extremely difficult to follow. I'm hoping someone has a tip to share for how to make this work. Maybe I didn't give it a fair try as I was frustrated with it and gave up.
abby001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abby001 For This Useful Post:
Puddinpop (05-19-2009)
Old 05-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #17
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

Someone said on Amazon reviews that it is written for different needles and the best thing to do is photocopy what you will use and your information. I bought Sensational Socks and have put Sock Innovations and New Pathways in my Wish List. I'm excited.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:54 PM   #18
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by abby001 View Post
I have More Sensational Socks and I have a question for those who recommend it. Is there a trick to using it? I've knit LOTS of socks--easily over 100 pair in the last 4 years--but I find the directions in this book extremely difficult to follow. I'm hoping someone has a tip to share for how to make this work. Maybe I didn't give it a fair try as I was frustrated with it and gave up.
I have Sensational Knitted Socks (the first one), and it was my first sock book. I can see how it's confusing, but it helps if you realize the whole thing is written three ways---for 4 dpns, 5 dpns, and 2 circs. You read the directions that apply to all three *especially including* the little sentences between the "tables" with the three sets of directions! Then you just follow on the directions that apply to your method.

I made a copy of the instructions and highlighted the parts that applied to me!

Oh...and you choose your own pattern (the 4-st patterns, 5-st patterns and so on. Flip over a page or so after the main instructions for the patter instructions, and then do that part where it says to "begin pattern."

That seems clear as mud...ask again if I can help clarify for you.

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lisa R. For This Useful Post:
abby001 (05-17-2009), Puddinpop (05-19-2009)