Old 05-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
tragik
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to tragik
I am hooked.. but stuck..
Some of you know me as the guy with the boat bumper.. lol.. I am just trying out this so I learn how to read the pattern.. so question.. I am trying this line...

Baby afghan measures approximately 35" by 42"

Materials:

* Sport weight acrylic yarn, 15 oz. Off White
* Size 5 knitting needles
* Size 6 knitting needles

Or size to obtain gauge.

Gauge: 25 stitches = 4 1/4", 14 rows of shell panel repeat = 2"

Shell Panel (make 7)
With larger needles, cast on 25 stitches.

Row 1 (right sides): Knit (k) 3, purl (p) 4, k1, p4, k1, p4, k1, p4, k3.

Row 2 and all even rows: Knit the knit stitches and purl the purl stitches as they face you.

*what does (right sides) mean? i googled and couldn't come up with an answer that made sense.
*note: i am just testing this out.. giving it a try.. So, i have done line 1 as instructed. but here is the kicker for me.. now if i look at all my ribs (or stitches) it looks like i have extra bumps or stitches. it seems like it is on the transitions from the k to the p.. does this make sense? Where do I follow line two? See what I mean? Hope I don't seem like a nagging question. Thanks sooo much.
tragik is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
ittybittypretty
1st Leg of the Journey

I think your yarn is in the wrong position when you are transitioning from knit to purl (or visa versa). Review the videos on this site to see if you are knitting and purling correctly. But you need to make sure that when you are coming from a knit stitch and about to do a purl stitch that you bring the yarn from the back to the front, between the needles and THEN perform the purl stitch, and then make sure you put the yarn in the back, going between the needles when you go from a p to a k.

Hope that helps. That's a very common mistake (I know, b/c I made it when I started knitting.)
ittybittypretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ittybittypretty For This Useful Post:
tragik (05-19-2009)
Old 05-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
ittybittypretty
1st Leg of the Journey

In fact I'm sure that is what you're doing, if you count the stitches you should only have 25, and you have many more than that on your needle.

What you are accidently doing is called a Yarn Over (YO), you intentionally do this when you are making eyelets, but it is always followed by a decrease so that your number of stictches stays the same.
tragik (05-19-2009)
Old 05-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
ittybittypretty
1st Leg of the Journey

Ok, sorry I realized I didn't answer all your questions, the RIGHT SIDE (RS), is the side you will display. Think right side and wrong side of your shirt. However you are doing ribbing, and ribbing looks the same on both sides (as does garter and seed stitch), so technically the right side is whatever side you choose (you can keep track by observing which side you cast on string lies right or left ie: when I'm working the right side my string is always on the left side). But it doesn't matter in this case.
tragik (05-19-2009)
Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
tragik
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you thank you thank you.. I will try this out tonight and see what I am doing wrong.. I am guessing there is not a video of how to transition between the two.. will poke around and see if there is one.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Right sides is to tell you that Row 1 and all odd rows will be the RS (or patterned) side of the piece.

You brought your yarn over the needles when you switched from knit to purl sts, so you will have more sts. That's why it's called a 'yarn over/YO' in a pattern, so you've learned how to do that. It's either an increase or puts holes in your knitting on purpose, for lacey things. In lace knitting they would be offset by decreases so your stitch count stays the same.

When you do row 2, you knit the sts that look like knits or Vs and purl the sts that look like purls or bumps on the row you're doing; don't try and figure out what you did to the sts on the previous row - you'll go insande. And even once you get the yarn moved correctly, it'll take a few rows for the stitch pattern to show up.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
tragik (05-19-2009)
Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
ittybittypretty
1st Leg of the Journey

Here's a video on youtube showing ribbing, and you can see how she moves the yarn from back to front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcxaIV_8_Hk

Happy knitting
tragik (05-19-2009)
Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

Even though you're not doing ribbing, the video might help you out because it's knitting and then purling, alternating, and that's what you're doing-- well, but not in ribbing. But sort of, it's just a very elongated rib. Okay, let's leave that mess of an explanation and try this: Go to Videos at the top of this page, click on Tips and go to Basic Stitches. That has Ribbing in there.

And no question is too simple and there's no such thing as too many! There are folks on here who have knit entire sweaters with pretty much asking a question every other stitch. We've all been there, no one's born knowing how to do this.
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imrachel For This Useful Post:
tragik (05-19-2009)
Old 05-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
tragik
Ribbing the Cuff

once again bow down to the knitting legends.. thank you so much.. that youtube helped me out!!!! wow so amazing...
Old 05-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It's a sort of rib, not all of them have equal number of knit and purl sts.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
tragik (05-19-2009)