Old 05-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
Secksiebrat
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Secksiebrat
Help!! Cat poops on the carpet!
Alright, I have a 4 year oldish, male, neutered cat that has decided to poop on the carpet. He has been to the vet, treated with antibiotics for an intestinal infection and is cleared. The vet says it's probably become a habit to poop in this one area.

I clean out his litter box daily and he does use it as well as pooping in this one area on the carpet. We want to put new carpet in but my hubby tells me the cat has to go if we can't correct the problem! I can't give up the poor guy, he lived all his life in a shelter before we rescued him in February.

I have scrubbed the carpet, put down trash bags and even tried to put things down where he goes. He'll just dig it away.

Does anyone have any good ideas to clean the area to keep him from using the bathroom? It's become a habit!! LOL

Thanks!

~danielle~

Secksiebrat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,730 Times in 7,103 Posts
Oh boy. My DSD has this problem with her cat and she's never been able to correct it. He sometimes goes in the box, but not always and especially if she's gone for a day or two. He's 16 now and she knows his behavior so she tries to catch him and put him in the bathroom when he's acting like has to go.

Is it always in the same area? Use something like Nature's Miracle on it to get rid of any odors.

Here's some link that might give you some ideas, too.
http://www.petplace.com/cats/the-top...box/page1.aspx

I wonder if giving him a treat after he goes in the box would work like it does on a dog..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Secksiebrat (05-21-2009)
Old 05-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
cftwo
Working the Gusset

One of my cats did this for a while - boy was I mad. I took out the carpet completely and put down a brand new area rug - same problem. I finally had to close her out of that space for a long time (months?) until she forgot that she had pooped there. I have the same area rug down in a new house, and she hasn't pooped on it, so I think we're good now.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
Secksiebrat (05-21-2009)
Old 05-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
Secksiebrat
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Secksiebrat
He always poops in the same place, the space between the two couches, next the coffee table. There's really no way to keep him from that room/area since it's the main room in the house. I just don't know what to do with him. I don't want to get rid of him, but I can't put down new carpet for him to ruin either. I will look for the Miracle stuff and try that.

~danielle~

Secksiebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
cdjack
Turning the Heel

There is also the stuff called Capture. It's a powder carpet cleaner and it works really well. And you don't have to mess with having wet carpet. The also carry a pre-mist spray if the stain is really bad.
They sell it at Lowe's around here. Here's the website:

http://www.captureclean.com

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdjack For This Useful Post:
Secksiebrat (05-21-2009)
Old 05-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Nature's Miracle is just a spray so it's only the spot and surrounding area that are wet. I let it sit for a bit then use paper towels to blot it. It dries pretty quick.

We actually buy it by the gallon. Anytime one of the pets has an accident or gets sick I use it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 05-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I don't know how well this works (precious cat litter) but I have seen it at my Vet's office...My cats do good as long as I don't change the litter...it has to be the red and yellow tidy cats for them

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by dustinac View Post
My cats do good as long as I don't change the litter...it has to be the red and yellow tidy cats for them
My cats have always liked Scoop Away or Fresh Step. Creatures of habit aren't they?

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 05-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #9
hookedonknitting
1st Leg of the Journey

Ahh...I know the feeling..my cat is about the same age and he started doing this for awhile. I think it was a couple of things, one was that the room that his box was in wasn't ventilated enough ( he just started one day, not a long term habit) so I think that he pooped their, even though I had cleaned it with anti smell stuff, because he could still smell his box. So I opened the window all day for him. Also I think he was upset at me for something... he gets a real attitude sometimes....So I tried to play with him some more and give him some treats.... ( bribe him for love and good behaviour!). I don't know if that helps any, I really know how frustrating it can be, but know it may not be a long term problem.

ps. Ohhh I forgot i gave him a new smelling litter too. Next up is a brand new box- in case he permi-stank his!! LOL!! Not sure if he will start again! but so far so good!
hookedonknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
My cats have always liked Scoop Away or Fresh Step. Creatures of habit aren't they?
I have one that pulls her hair out if anything changes...then the other one pouts at me if his daily routine is changed, he won't look at me, or lay beside me...which is odd for him

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote