Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
TooCircular
Knitting the Flap
 
TooCircular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 266
Thanks: 279
Thanked 189 Times in 80 Posts
Addi makes crochet hooks?!?!
I was just going back through previous threads trying to find out what everyone's preference was for crochet hooks and discovered that Addi makes them. Are they worth the money? I'm assuming they're expensive. Would like to get some good steel ones.

Anyway, I like using the Clover/Takumi brand and have a good set of the metal ones (no brand name on them, go figure!). Does Susan Bates make Quicksilver hooks, and if so, are they good to use?
I've read in previous threads that a lot of people like the Bates brand, but wasn't sure if they were referring to the metally ones or the other.

Funny how they all vary from brand name to brand name. Some have more of a crook to the hook, some are pointier, etc. etc. Just one more thing to drive everyone nuts, I suppose!


TIA,
Jan
TooCircular is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
catlvr
1st Leg of the Journey
 
catlvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 230
Thanks: 0
Thanked 83 Times in 74 Posts
I use Susan Bates and Clover. Metal and plastic, and they both work fine. Don't know too much about Addi, but personallly, I don't pay a fortune for hooks, would rather spend money on yarn!! LOL
catlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catlvr For This Useful Post:
TooCircular (05-22-2009)
Old 05-22-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Craw
Knitting the Flap
 
Craw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Posts: 267
Thanks: 42
Thanked 89 Times in 73 Posts
I have Susan Bates Silvalume hooks and a few of the bamboo handled ones. They're my favorites. I've seen the Addi hooks but I'm afraid to try them. I'd probably fall in love with them (like I did their knitting needles) and have to buy them all. Ack!
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craw For This Useful Post:
TooCircular (05-22-2009)
Old 05-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
TooCircular
Knitting the Flap
 
TooCircular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 266
Thanks: 279
Thanked 189 Times in 80 Posts
Quote:
I don't pay a fortune for hooks, would rather spend money on yarn!! LOL
Oh yeah, ain't it the truth!!


Jan
TooCircular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
TooCircular
Knitting the Flap
 
TooCircular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 266
Thanks: 279
Thanked 189 Times in 80 Posts
Quote:
I have Susan Bates Silvalume hooks and a few of the bamboo handled ones. They're my favorites.
I think I'm gonna try the Silvalume just to see what they're like. But I totally get that about the addi's. Didn't even know they existed until the knitting teacher clued us in. All it took was a few stitches and I was hooked!!


Jan
TooCircular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset
 
OffJumpsJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,127
Thanks: 447
Thanked 312 Times in 249 Posts
Voice for Boye by Wrights
Originally Posted by TooCircular View Post
I was just going back through previous threads trying to find out what everyone's preference was for crochet hooks and discovered that Addi makes them. Are they worth the money? I'm assuming they're expensive. Would like to get some good steel ones.

Anyway, I like using the Clover/Takumi brand and have a good set of the metal ones (no brand name on them, go figure!). Does Susan Bates make Quicksilver hooks, and if so, are they good to use?
I've read in previous threads that a lot of people like the Bates brand, but wasn't sure if they were referring to the metally ones or the other.

Funny how they all vary from brand name to brand name. Some have more of a crook to the hook, some are pointier, etc. etc. Just one more thing to drive everyone nuts, I suppose!


TIA,
Jan

I use Boye hooks, they have a different head style from Susan Bates. I like the smaller, tapered head, especially when working with a yarn that is prone to split. I find them easier to use in smaller stitches. Now if I were to do popcorns, bullions, or other stitches with many wraps, I would switch to a Bates since the shaft and notch are easier to pull through multiple wraps.

Wrights is a US based company and Bates is UK based. You will find their leter sizes will be a bit different in mm equivalents. I find the surface of Boye aluminum to be just right (not too sticky, not too slick) and a feel much like the Bate Silvalume needles I own. My mom gave me two sets of Boye hooks (one a steel set for crochet thread) I also have a couple of Hero brand crochet hooks. I haven't looked for any Internet info on them... yet.

My thoughts on plastic or wood hooks: I expect them to be more sticky and also vulnerable to breaking. The light up ones are cute but I have a LED light on a head band if I need to knit or crochet in the dark.
__________________
--Jack
Master of Crochet, apprentice of Knit

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
TooCircular
Knitting the Flap
 
TooCircular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 266
Thanks: 279
Thanked 189 Times in 80 Posts
Quote:
I use Boye hooks, they have a different head style from Susan Bates. I like the smaller, tapered head, especially when working with a yarn that is prone to split. I find them easier to use in smaller stitches. Now if I were to do popcorns, bullions, or other stitches with many wraps, I would switch to a Bates since the shaft and notch are easier to pull through multiple wraps.

Wrights is a US based company and Bates is UK based. You will find their leter sizes will be a bit different in mm equivalents. I find the surface of Boye aluminum to be just right (not too sticky, not too slick) and a feel much like the Bate Silvalume needles I own. My mom gave me two sets of Boye hooks (one a steel set for crochet thread) I also have a couple of Hero brand crochet hooks. I haven't looked for any Internet info on them... yet.

My thoughts on plastic or wood hooks: I expect them to be more sticky and also vulnerable to breaking. The light up ones are cute but I have a LED light on a head band if I need to knit or crochet in the dark.

I'm so relieved to discover that I'm not the only one using different hooks for different projects. I've got three different brands here, including Boye, and will experiment with all three on a particular project until I get a sense that one in particular is just right for the yarn and the pattern. Then I'll begin it.

Wasn't aware that Bates is UK based. Hmmm, so much for buying American! But that would explain the difference in stitch gauge for the same size hook! Still curious about those addi's, though. The knitting needles are such a dream....

Yes, I remember reading on another thread about your light and was intrigued by it right away. You could probably read with it too! Walmart's, right?

Appreciate all your help,

Jan
TooCircular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
mathwizard
Turning the Heel
 
mathwizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 805
Thanks: 68
Thanked 199 Times in 178 Posts
hooks
I prefer steel hooks and metal one. Steel for my thread work and metal for every thing else. I do have a couple of bone hooks which were my mother's and I love them the most. The yarn just slide off them. I would get a whole set of them if I could match the ones I have. I do use my mothers hooks for everything because I inherited all hers and my sister doesn't crochet or knit. I got my mother's knitting needles and my middle son got me Addi's interchangeable for Christmas and they are German made and not the same size as US knitting needles. Swatch time because mm are different and I don't usually swatch for anything as I have been blessed with perfect gauge whenever I make anything. Had a great teacher, my mother!
__________________
I will never stop learning or sharing my knowledge!
Mathwizard on Ravelry
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/mathwizard
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mathwizard For This Useful Post:
TooCircular (05-26-2009)
Old 06-24-2009, 01:20 AM   #9
jacquiw
Casting On
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I really loved Boyes hooks and got a heap from my US friends and love them to bits. But I have a lot of trouble with my hands and with arthritis and tendonitis being severe started looking for hooks with a handle shape that allevietes the problem. Being in Australia we haven't had a lot of choice with hooks till recently.
Firstly just for fun I got my US friend to get me Crochet Lites and found I liked the shape of them and had less problem with pain. I bought a full set of ADDI hooks and found them to be lovely and the wool slips easily when you use them but the handle shape was still not comfortable enough for me.
So after much hunting around finally found a place to get some Clover hooks at crochetaustralia.com and I am so glad I paid the money for them now as I have so little pain. They weren't cheap and neither were the Addi' but I figure all my life I have made do and I wanted and deserved decent tools for something I spend so much time doing and enjoy. I don't drink or smoke so I gave myself a great present that will last me the rest of my life.
jacquiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just ordered Addi Crochet Hooks knitpurlgurl Crochet! 14 12-13-2008 10:05 AM
LOOKING FOR TUNISIAN CROCHET HOOKS cajunstitcher Buy/Sell/Swap 1 03-10-2008 10:06 PM
Long Crochet Hooks mwhite Buy/Sell/Swap 7 02-14-2008 09:25 AM
Flying with crochet hooks... Littleredhen General Knitting 5 08-31-2006 09:42 PM
Crochet hooks..trade aprildavis99 Buy/Sell/Swap 0 12-04-2005 07:09 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:46 AM.