Old 05-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
Vertigo1414
Knitting the Flap

Casting on
Alright so i've come to the conclusion the only way i can cast on evenly (using long tail method) is to do it tightly. does anyone else have/has had this problem and how can i get past it. i've been using a needle one size up, but it's annoying to switch needles, espically with a lot of stitches, and it still seems kinda tight.
Northeast Oddball Baby Blankets
Oddball Pet Snuggles

Vertigo's Knits-My blog
Vertigo1414 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what your question is..

My cast ons aren't always perfectly even. I just ignore it and move on. Is the cast on so uneven it shows even after several rows? Generally it all seems to blend in once you start knitting. If it really is a concern for you you could do a provisional cast on and then bind off the first row instead.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I do the long tail method of cast on the way the gal shows in this video. I think it is easier to get my tension even this way, but I think it is possible the other way too. You just have to become rather mechanical so that you get to where you always pull the same amount on the tail each time to tighten the new stitch.

LINK
Part of what she shows here is how she does the slip knot, it is slick, but she is really not teaching that and does it so fast I couldn't get it. Just start with a slip knot and proceed as she shows.

I get a nice even tension this way, but sometimes I still choose to go up (and I go up 2 or 3 sizes) in needle size because for some applications a nice even cast on is still going to be too tight.

However you choose to do the cast on, don't do it so tightly that it is real hard to work the first row. First rows are bad enough. LOL
Old 05-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Do Not Cast On Tight! It really makes it hard to knit into on the next row and will cause that end of your knitting to be narrower than the rest of the piece. Try different cast on methods, but casting on just takes time to get an even tension like the rest of your knitting.

I cast on the same way Merigold does and it's much more even than the regular long tail CO. Just make sure you don't pull the yarn tight when you do it.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
of troy
Turning the Heel

If you INSIST on pulling the thumb yarn tight.. (a bad habit, you could fix it!) then do this--force yourself to leave 1/8 to 1/4 of inch between each stitch!

there is a method of doing long tail with 2 needles. the thumb yarn get wrapped around both needles, the index finger stitch is made, and the thumb yarn is slipped onto the second needle (held below) the second needle keeps the thumb yarn (tail of the long tail) from getting to tight.

or you could learn a second (or third, or.. (40th!) cast on..

there are lots of choices.. if you work the long tail too tight, do a different cast on entirely!
Old 05-22-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
MrsWildchild
Ribbing the Cuff

I found that, with all my knitting in the beginning - the only way to be sure it was even was to knit it ALL tightly. But cast-on rows tend to be tight compared to the rest, because on the other rows, the horizontal strands between the stitches have some give.

As you and others have pointed out, there are a few ways - use a bigger needle, etc. If that is a nuisance, you could try using 2 needles held together (same size or one that is smaller than the one you will continue with), then remove one before continuing. Or, cast on a stitch, tighten it up, then insert a needle into it to loosen it back up (and you know it will be done the same way each time).
MrsWildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
hookedonknitting
1st Leg of the Journey

I am a really slow cast oner ( is that a word?? ) I do the LT cast on that is shown here on this site. I found that I would place the cast on stitch right where i wanted it to be and then tighten. I also keep my stitches close on the needle. Also, is this something that happens on cable needles or straights? I noticed when I cast onto cables that if I pull them around (not so gently) then the are uneven when i go to knit. Anyway, that's what I do, very slow...
hookedonknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
Vertigo1414
Knitting the Flap

i guess my main issue is i end up having either big gaps between the stitches, which ends up looking uneven in the end. or i have big loops and little loops, which screws with the tension when i knit. maybe it's just a beginner thing...i tend to be a bit anal retentive sometimes
Northeast Oddball Baby Blankets
Oddball Pet Snuggles

Vertigo's Knits-My blog
Vertigo1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It's perfectly normal for beginners to be uneven, whether it's on the cast on or a knitted row. Just practice and relax, don't worry about it being perfect, cause even experienced knitters don't have perfect stitches.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
of troy
Turning the Heel

and mistakes (slight un eveness) come out in the wash!

REALLY! blocking (wetting (fully or partially) an smoothing into shape does a lot to make uneven stitches look even.

Elizabeth Zimmerman (a knitting guru) pointed out, the older the knitting, the more even and smooth it was..

and its true.. wearing, washing, wearing, washing.. and things get better and better looking..

Ease up.. lots of good knitters know, it will look better once its blocked..
(and blocking? its not much different than setting your hair..
get the item damp (or wet..don't wring out excess water, blot it.)
then smooth into shape.. (or if needed stretch and pin into shape..or pull onto a melon (for a hat ) or grapefruit (baby's hat) to get an attractive shape.. let dry..

presto, change O! things look better!