Old 05-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #11
pinktoque
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via ICQ to pinktoque Send a message via AIM to pinktoque Send a message via MSN to pinktoque Send a message via Yahoo to pinktoque
I wish I could say I've learned #3 in the few years I've been knitting. lol

I spend way more time online chatting/replying in threads here and on Ravelry browsing absolutely everything, than knitting some days!

I will have to start using lifelines - I never really thought of it that way and thought it was something specific to lace since it's almost always associated with doing lace. Since I've not done lace before I never looked into it, but now I can see that it would be helpful in just about any knit project situation

http://craftblog.pinktoque.com
I knit under my desk at work.

KER+ Exp+ SPM->+ KP++@ Bam+(+) Wool+(+) Cot+(+) Syn+(+) Stash(+) Scale+ Fin-> Ent? FI-> Int? Tex-> Lace-> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN+ ML+ Swatch- KIP++ Blog+++ FO+ WIP(+) GaugeW++ ALTCr++Sw+(+)
pinktoque is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
Irishmam
1st Leg of the Journey

Lulubell - You made me laugh out loud! 1 month in and already thats an issue for me!
Irishmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
lulubell
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Irishmam View Post
Lulubell - You made me laugh out loud! 1 month in and already thats an issue for me!
And my poor credit card gets a hammering too. I have recently found the Vintagepurls website and oh! the beautiful hand dyed sock and lace yarn I just had to have. She only does a few skeins of her 'limited edition' colours. I now have 3 skeins of beautiful colours, another on the way, and have signed up for her sock club (closed) which will give me 3 more lovely skeins.

It is so damn addictive!!!
lulubell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:13 AM   #14
Kinnexa
Ribbing the Cuff

Yes, #3 is the one I'll probably never learn. Especially since I discovered Ravelry...

Also: It's only yarn. Have fun!
It's OK to take a break from knitting. (That's what the Internet is for.)
Try to have some idea of what you're going to do with the yarn before you buy it.
Count your stitches.
Try to keep your WIPs down to a dozen or so at a time!

"Be who you are and say what you feel because
those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Kinnexa's on Ravelry, too
Kinnexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #15
melmac51
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Irishmam View Post
I have been knitting for about 1 month now and was taught by YouTube (really)

Here are my top 3 things I have learned so far - please add yours

1. Always count your stiches. You should see the scarf! Never mind, at least I got to practice how to decrease.

2. Never leave your knitting where your 4-year old can reach it. She pulled out the needle holding all the stiches.But like I said, it was not a very good scarf.

3. Be careful you do not spend more time online looking at yarns and talking about knitting than actually doing some knitting

Irishmam
Amen Sistah!
Old 06-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #16
JudiToots
Ribbing the Cuff

I do all kinds of crafts (decorating, sewing, embrodiery, crocheting, knitting, etc.). So I organize my computer files by similar projects such as sewing and embrodiery in one folder, crocheting and knitting in another. I add a letter at the beginning of the file name to indicate what type of project it is: k- for knitting, c- for crocheting, etc.

Another trick that I have is that I never just print out a pattern off the web or save the link (links change). I will either copy and paste it into a Microsoft Word document or I create a PDF file from it.

Quick comment about Irishmam's #3...
A few weeks ago I read the thread "who knits under their desk." It got me thinking: Has anyone figured out how to surf the net while knitting? I think it would be distracting. But then again, I am a semi-new knitter.

"She seeks out wool and flax and works with willing hands [to develop it]." Proverbs 31:13 AMP
"Make it your ambition and definitely endeavor to live quietly and peacefully, to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands..." 1 Thessalonians 4:11 AMP
JudiToots is offline   Reply With Quote