Old 05-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
Jakoh
1st Leg of the Journey

Off The Topic: I am angry
Dear ALL Knitting from the whole universe,
It just happens today 26 May 2009 at 8.05am SG time and it really makes me D***ANGRY, Agitated..... On my way to work at the train (MRT/MTR/Metro), i managed to get in to the train and there is this man in front holding on the bar with the plastic bag kept hitting my head. I ignored him.
I started to bring out my knitting to continue to knit a baby cardigan while standing and stuck myself to the door and suddenly this man told me off.......
Man: hey, do you know it is very dangerous with what you are doing it will hurt someone and accident will happen. Accident will only happen once if is going to happen.
I: I told him that I have been doing this for a long time and nothing happens.
Man: But accident does happen....
I: it will not.......
After the confrontation, the man walk away and i continued my knitting as I feel that in public transport is my personal time. If the train is really packed, I will not do it. Like him, the train already so pack and he is reading his newspapers and taking up more space than I do. Newspapers sometimes also quite inconvenient, as it will also landed up on someone's face and also it is dirty.....
After alighting the train, I am still angry; I should rebuked him, if i endanger your life you can press the Emergency Button and tell the driver to stop the train as a lady is knitting in front of you. Or either ask him to make a police report that a lady is knitting in front of you. Than I will ask the rest of the passengers whether they felt threaten by me when I am knitting.
Why are men now becoming a scary cat? Not a gentleman at all.......
We are working adults, in the train is also a time that we catch-up with our OTN.... we will not have so much time at home just to do our knitting.......
Do you all share my anger? Give me some suggestions to tackle this type of unreasonable people.
I am still angry.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

I understand you. Knitting needles are not dangerous, even if something DID happen, I doubt that someone would be injured.

But don't think about it too much. There are dumb people everywhere. Just let it go.

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
MrsWildchild
Ribbing the Cuff

We have a saying that says, "It takes all kinds..." meaning there are all kinds of people out there, and there's not much you can do about it! Sorry to hear you had a rotten ride.
MrsWildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
MrsWildchild
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by blueygh2 View Post
There are dumb people everywhere. Just let it go.
I basically said the same thing in the other identical thread to this one.
MrsWildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

Yep, seen it :D

But that's the way it is. I had bad encounters with people as well, but spending your time being mad at those people, that's just what they want. You're better off not thinking about it and concentrating on what you are doing.

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Pointy sticks, crowded train, standing room only........ I do not agree with his tactics (he could have moved to a different spot on the train) but, I guess I have to wonder at the safety of your endeavor.

I have been known to knit just about anywhere but don't believe I'd tackle that one unless I was sitting in a seat. There is much in this world to be angry about, a rude encounter on a train is pretty low on the list. I say let it go.

As an EMT I do know that the thing you never think WILL happen usually does.
imrachel (05-25-2009)
Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Perhaps one of the moderators could combine these duplicate posts. Doesn't need to be in two different places.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

Oh boy, I understand how angry you are and that this guy was kind of obnoxious, and I don't want to fan the fire. But I also have to say that I have a scar in my thigh from about 8 years ago. I was going to work on the subway as usual, standing because my stop was coming up, and a woman was knitting in a seat right next to the doors. The train lurched at it went around a curve, as they do, and she slid on her seat and her needle went right into my leg, about an inch. Not to gross anyone out, but it required a really good tug to get it out. I am very, very nervous about people knitting on subways and buses. It really CAN be dangerous!
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #9
Jakoh
1st Leg of the Journey

Yes, i do admit that. That is why, i stuck myself to the door with my back leaning on it.... if the train is over crowded, i will not do it cos if you can get in, you are lucky.......
Sorry to hear about your accident, so far we had smooth train rides... But my experience tells me that if i wear high heels, my tendency of balancing no good than i will not knit unless i am comfortable and also a good spot, with handles or sitting down.
Unfortunately, i can't find seats.... there are several times, when passenger sees me knit, they will give up their seat for me... so sweet..... Hope they don;t give up their seat thinking i am pregnant......
Old 05-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Why was the man upset?
Was the reason because you were knitting on a crowed train?

or

Was the reason because you were leaning against the doors ... (so you could knit on the crowded train)?

ETA: I think leaning against the doors of the train was more dangerous than knitting on a train.

So long as the man stopped harassing you, then you can forget about him.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.

Last edited by OffJumpsJack : 05-27-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Error correction
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote