Old 05-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
petleg
Casting On

Sizing up help please
Hi - I'm new to this forum but I have a question that I just can't do myself!
Mum has knitted a gorgeous cardigan for our next door little girl (aged 3) and I really love the design and nothing is available anywhere like it . Does anyone know of anywhere that can size up patterns from little children to big adults!! or even how to do it myself (if it isn't too hard)
I look forward to the replies!
Thanks
Petleg
petleg is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!

What is the name of the pattern? If you have a link for it it would help us a lot.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
petleg
Casting On

I can't find a link to the pattern but it's a UK HANDKNITTING . COM PATTERN UKHKA 58

Is there just a simple way of calculating how many stitches / rows etc needed to size up or does anyone do this as a job !
Thanks
Petleg
Old 05-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Looks like it would be this one... http://www.bhkc.co.uk/BHKC%20Pattern...58/ukhka58.jpg

If the original yarn is very thin and the needle size small, you can go up in size. Maybe use a worsted/aran weight and 5 or 5.5mm needles. But whether you do that or just recalculate the pattern, you can take your sts/inch and multiply it by the inches you need to get you to the right size.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
Mirl56
Instepping Out

So you want to size it up to an adult size? why not find a plain cardigan and add the picot hem and the lacy ruffle at the chest?

In fact, you may wnt to think twice about the ruffle placement, depending on your size. I cant help but visulize that ruffle being exactly at my bust and sticking out funny, not nearly as attractive as it looks on a baby.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Mirl56 View Post
So you want to size it up to an adult size? why not find a plain cardigan and add the picot hem and the lacy ruffle at the chest?

In fact, you may wnt to think twice about the ruffle placement, depending on your size. I cant help but visulize that ruffle being exactly at my bust and sticking out funny, not nearly as attractive as it looks on a baby.
Exactly what I was thinking. There are many plain sweater patterns that can be made to look very similar...but I'd rethink the ruffle.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Here's one that has the eyelets - http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTsitcomchic.html though they're placed a little higher. You could do those rows right after you join the pieces, then they'd be just above the underarm.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

Here is the link to a photo of the pattern: http://www.bhkc.co.uk/BHKC%20Pattern...58/ukhka58.jpg

I can tell you what I would do, as opposed to trying to convert that exact one-- I'd find a cardigan that is very similar to the basic design on www.knittingpatterncentral.com or www.garnstudios.com and then find a "frill" or ruffle instructions in a design book such as The Harmony Stitches books, or Vogue Stitionaries, make one as long as the chest measurement, and then sew it on.
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
petleg
Casting On

Thanks to everyone for their help - that is a good point about the frill over the bust as I am larger in that department - I hadn't thought of that. Also the best idea - getting a similar pattern in my size and just adding the detail , much easier than trying top size up a whole pattern !

Thanks once again
Petleg