Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

Michaels New Yarn
Michaels is rolling out their new yarn selection. Let me see what I can remember....Lion Fisherman's Wool, Caron Spa and Country, and their new store brand Loops and Threads. Their brand is pretty much just a copy of all the other yarns- nothing to spectacular. What I saw was just worsted and baby acrylics. I think there's more colors of some of the other stuff, but no new sock yarn! They did scale back the furry yarns, but Homespun is still there, if not expanded. Just thought I'd pass along what I can remember!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Thanks for the update.

I got a Michael's flyer in yesterday's mail. There wasn't any mention of yarn at all. Maybe ours will have the new stuff by next week.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
I was in Michaels here in Canada a few days ago, and they also had quite a few new yarns and patterns.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Craw
Knitting the Flap

The Michaels by me hasn't set up the new yarn dept. yet but I did get to see the store brand, Loops and Threads. I agree, it's nothing new or spectacular, but if/when it goes on sale I think I'll buy me some to see what it's like. Anything is better than Red Heart and that seems to be what the craft stores stock the most of, which is just one of the reasons why I do most of my yarn shopping online. I also noticed more Homespun colors. Still, most of the other bins were empty last time I went so for the most part, I'm still waiting to see what's coming.
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
knitfan
Ribbing the Cuff

I wasn't impressed. Didn't think it was anything much different than usual.
knitfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
Our store had just begun restocking the other day when I was in there. (I needed some Sugar and Cream cotton to complete a set of dishcloths for a neighbor.) There were lots of empty shelves still but I did see the Caron Spa and Country - which I've used and liked. Ya know, their signs said "New yarn dept coming this spring." Um, well it's nearly June - that's summer to me. Talk about dangling a carrot in front of you.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #7
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

Mine was stocking yesterday- but I managed to see the Lion Brand Fisherman's wool and the Impeccable Loops & thread (only one skein was out.) Impeccable was scratchier than Vanna's choice to me- I don't plan on trying that.

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:51 PM   #8
wednesday
Ribbing the Cuff

sadly our Michaels chose to eliminate even more natural fibers and blends. The entire yarn department is only one measly aisle and now with the introduction of Michaels own yarn line, there is no variety left. I am not trying to poopoo acrylics but just how many varieties of acrylic worsted does one store need ??? The Michaels yarn was right next to Vanna's and I could not tell the difference.
wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:31 AM   #9
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
Thanks for the update! I'm not too surprised that the furry yarns are scaled down. I think the furry trend has ended, or is in it's death throes anyways! Not soon enough for me!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
PamJ
Knitting the Flap

I'm crocheting a V-stitch baby blanket with their new baby acrylic line. It felt softer in the skein than it does now as I'm crocheting. I hope that improves when washed. The bright new colors are pretty, but I see Bernat Baby Soft has lots of new colors too. I'll let you know how this washes.
PamJ is offline   Reply With Quote