Old 05-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Ijustwantacraft
Casting On

speed stix size 50 throw and....
Wanted some advice on your thoughts of using this pattern:
http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/pat...Go.x=7&Go.y=13
A lion brand free pattern # 60045A
and Im thinking 3 strands of this: Red Heart Grande # 6 that I have had around for long time and want to turn it into something.
http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/...rt-grande.html
I am wondering if anyone has made this pattern are they or do they turn out really heavy, or do they feel light or med after finished.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I haven't made any, but they should be fairly light. The huge needles make less sts per inch, so there's not as much yarn as you'd think. Why don't you cast on about 30-40 sts and see what it turns out like. You could also try only 2 strands of the yarn and see how that works. I think the Grande is thicker than the Homespun anyway.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Ijustwantacraft (05-31-2009)
Old 05-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I made one. It turned out pretty nice. It's not heavier than any other blanket and it's nice to wrap around yourself to keep warm. My only complaint is that it is sort of long and skinny because you can't cast on that many stitches.
Good, quick project though. I finished the knitting in 1 day and the fringe the next.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
Ijustwantacraft (05-31-2009)
Old 06-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
I've made several of these (with Homespun). The finished results were pretty nice. They were all gifts though so I have no clue how well they held up.

Knitting with the size 50 needles was different. Because the needles are so large, the knitting motions are magnified. My arms and hands got tired easily so I couldn't knit with them for long periods. But you get results so quickly it's sort of like instant gratification.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WandaT For This Useful Post:
Ijustwantacraft (06-05-2009)
Old 06-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

Size 50's!!!
I knit an afghan with size 50 needles and 4 strands of Homespun yarn together. I've made 6 of them altogether. They come out nice and soft. I used 8 skeins for each one, but watch out with yardage. Homespun has 185 yards in each skein and your Red Heart has less.

Anything knit with size 50s works up VERY quickly. I have yet to find any point protectors that big, so what I did was wrap a thick rubber band around the ends every time I put the needles down. It kept the stitches from falling off the ends!

knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitcindy For This Useful Post:
Ijustwantacraft (06-05-2009)
Old 06-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
Ijustwantacraft
Casting On

Thank you everyone such good advice, used 2 strands of the red heart grande, it is turning out quite nicely and soft and fluffy, not heavy at all. I do take breaks, getting the hang of it, the rubber band works great to keep stitches on needle when I go back to a small needle project that is a walk in the park compared to the 50's but I like it and will be a great way to use the yarn.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
Tia
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by knitcindy View Post
I knit an afghan with size 50 needles and 4 strands of Homespun yarn together. I've made 6 of them altogether. They come out nice and soft. I used 8 skeins for each one, but watch out with yardage. Homespun has 185 yards in each skein and your Red Heart has less.

Anything knit with size 50s works up VERY quickly. I have yet to find any point protectors that big, so what I did was wrap a thick rubber band around the ends every time I put the needles down. It kept the stitches from falling off the ends!

knitcindy
I found a site that sells stoppers for #19 - #50 needles! He custom makes his hooks and needles. The stoppers are $8....here is the link for www.jenkinswoodworking. Scroll down near the bottom of the page until you see the word 'Stoppers' in red.

Edited to say that just since I first posted this, he has added a photo to show the stoppers and the price went up to $10/pr.

Things I have crocheted for charity.

Last edited by Tia : 06-05-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tia For This Useful Post:
knitcindy (06-06-2009)
Old 06-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

Looks familiar!!!
WOW!!! That's the same blanket I made 6 times, Ijustwantacraft!!! I love them and the recipients of my blankets have loved them too!!! I'm glad yours turned out so beautifully! That yarn is pretty!

knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Ijustwantacraft
Casting On

Thanks knitcindy, Its great to know it was a well received gift because I think its going to be a Christmas gift. I don't think I could handle 6 of them, But I will have to make another one but the rest of the colors are not matching very well. I have to come up with a plan for the other colors. Well originally I was going to do the first blanket that I made a link to in earlier post, then I bought the pattern book for the speed stix and thought I'd try the basket weave one. Here is what the booklet looks like for those who like to get one:
http://www.madcraftgroup.com/323311.html
Old 06-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by WandaT View Post
Knitting with the size 50 needles was different. Because the needles are so large, the knitting motions are magnified. My arms and hands got tired easily so I couldn't knit with them for long periods. But you get results so quickly it's sort of like instant gratification.
Yeah. I have 35s, and to me, knitting with them is just torture because my hands are so small. I can barely hold them! How I've managed with other needles and huge projects is a shock...
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote